Gunboards Forums banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
If it has no other markings, it may well NOT be an 'Ishy screw'. The Indians actually copied the idea from the British (it was a standard Britiah repair method) so it is possibly a 'Britty-Screw'.
Unfortunately, it shows Indian markings , on an otherwise all matching rifle . Yes, bolt head can always be replaced, but I have no reason to believe it was .

Wood Office supplies Bumper Revolver Automotive exterior

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
Does that look like a British made- British installed screw to you?
Certainly the 'head' side could be British - have not seen whats on the other side. Ishy tended to be a huge overkill nut (often looking something like a wheel nut off a large truck - slight exaggeration.....)

·
Registered
7,391 Posts
Certainly the 'head' side could be British - have not seen whats on the other side. Ishy tended to be a huge overkill nut (often looking something like a wheel nut off a large truck - slight exaggeration.....)
What you described there isn’t the “Ishy screw” but the Ishapore cross bolt for their GF rifles.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
On the subject of refurbished No4 mkI’s…looks like I’m missing a date and “S” from the side of the receiver. Also missing a stamp from the crest of the receiver. Examples below:
Actually no, nothing is missing. The arrow in U symbol is Union of South Africa, so unless your rifle was in South Africa, it would not have that stamp. Also, Savage stopped putting years on the receivers in 1943, so again, this is correct. Your rifle, 82C... serial is from 1944. (see: Survey of Savage #4 serial number ranges)

As to the screw. Yes, likely Indian, and yes, it's ugly, but it's part of the rifle's history now, so why pull it out? You're going to patch up the hole?

·
Premium Member
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
As to the screw. Yes, likely Indian, and yes, it's ugly, but it's part of the rifle's history now, so why pull it out? You're going to patch up the hole?

Nope. The screw had a bath in Hoppes. Now back in the stock. I just wanted to make sure the screw was authentic and not inscribed with “made in China”.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
OP, thanks for the great pics! I especially like how they contrast the P14 to the others. Obvious that the Brits wanted the transition from the SMLE to the P14 to be as easy as possible. Same buttstock design and LOP. I believe that is why the P14 had the bolt handle dogleg, to position the knob in the same spot as the SMLE. But it didn't work out, and they soldiered on with the SMLE variants.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Beautiful winter day here in Northern California. Decided to make a range trip with my .303 British collection. All handled flawlessly on commercial ammunition. I don’t know if I’m going to expand the collection in the future. I’ve got other firearm interests right now.

View attachment 3923965

From left to right: No1 Mk III Lithgow SHTLE, No3 MkI P14 ERA (with volley sights), No4 MkI, No4 MkI* Stevens Savage and No5 MkI
Glad to see no slings. They just get in the way on a bench rest. What a gorgeous assortment. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Well, that answers a lot of questions. Thank you GeeRam.
A: I didn’t know Ishapore refurbished Enfields
B: I always wondered about the lack of markings on my rifle.
C: Always thought that “Ishy” screw was out of place

I spent this morning on the internet researching the refurbishment and am now a more informed collector. I thought the serial number would have a “RF” added for refurbishment. Some photos below.

View attachment 3924248
View attachment 3924247
View attachment 3924245
View attachment 3924244
View attachment 3924243
View attachment 3924246
Extraordinary resolution on your photographs!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Also pulled the screw out from the stock. It’s really a shame it’s there. I realize it’s a functional add on but aesthetically it really distracts from the rifle’s beauty. Here’s two photos taken on different surfaces to get the best resolution.

View attachment 3924569
Hideous-looking fastener. My 1963 Ishapore No.1 Mk.III* also has the ugly screw.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Beautiful winter day here in Northern California. Decided to make a range trip with my .303 British collection. All handled flawlessly on commercial ammunition. I don’t know if I’m going to expand the collection in the future. I’ve got other firearm interests right now.

View attachment 3923965

From left to right: No1 Mk III Lithgow SHTLE, No3 MkI P14 ERA (with volley sights), No4 MkI, No4 MkI* Stevens Savage and No5 MkI
Very nice!
I'll need to dust off some of my .303's and clean out the cobwebs at the range!

·
Registered
12,870 Posts
I think they captured most of their No.4's from Pakistan in the 1965 war.
Didn't they issue most of their captured No.4's to their Police forces?
They sold a crapload of em to Ethiopia, that much is certain!

It seems like India had large quantities of Savage No.4s on hand. For a while I was looking for some kind of serial number block, with quite a few in the 55C to 65C range, but there's a smattering of everything and any apparent pattern is lost on me. Safe to say there are many plausible explanations for No.4s in India.........

Evidence suggests that Chinese supplies from North America were held up in India, and it is entirely possible that No.4s destined for China remained in Indian warehouses after the war ended.

Combine that with the use of the No.4 in the CBI theater, and the eventual drawdown of forces following the war, and one can reasonably expect No.4s to have found their way into racks in India.

But I digress.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts