Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Martini rifle converted in 1901 to .303. Where can I find the proper cleaning rod. TIA.

·
Super Moderator
3,877 Posts
I have a Martini rifle converted in 1901 to .303. Where can I find the proper cleaning rod. TIA.
Your .303 made in 1901 never had a cleaning rod. Cleaning rods were with drawn from service many years before.

Would by any chance you .303 made in 1901 also say VR? If so it very likely is a counterfeit.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Your .303 made in 1901 never had a cleaning rod. Cleaning rods were with drawn from service many years before.

Would by any chance you .303 made in 1901 also say VR? If so it very likely is a counterfeit.

It was converted in 1900

·
Registered
402 Posts
24 Sep. 2007
8:45pm

Excellent to see your MECC mk. I* again, Terry. Here's my old girl, familiar to Terry but not the other readers.

Regards to all,

Coggansfield

·
Registered
402 Posts
25 Sep. 2007
2.30pm

Here's another perfectly legit Martini with a "V.R." stamp but a post-Vicki date (this one is not mine). There are more of them out there than you might think. Having said that, they should be approached with ultra-caution because of the Khyber Pass possibility.

Coggansfield

·
Registered
402 Posts
25 Sep. 2007
2:40pm

Bugger. Can't make the image a decent size. Anyway, it says "V.R." over 1902. It's a receiver from an MER mk. I.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Getting back to rcbloom2's original question .... here is the War Department "List of Changes" entry which is the reason why rods are so seldom encountered with any .303 rifle or carbine, whether it be Martini-Metford, Martini-Enfield, Lee-Metford or Lee-Enfield ....

·
Registered
378 Posts
I was going to add that I've got an MLE Mk I* with a VR Cypher and a 1901 date.

Victoria died 22/01/1901, so any rifle made either A) Before she died that year or B) After she died but before they got around to changing the stamps to read ER (for Edward VII) is going to have a VR cypher, so It's quite possible for a 1901 (or even slightly later) rifle to legitimately have a VR cypher on it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts