Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Very interesting I’m sure but I’m not quite sure I get the point.
I have what I consider to be a most beautiful 1901 Lee Enfield that I acquired as a very rough sporter. I finished it like a Lee Speed.
It shoots extremely well, has a 10 shot magazine and dare I say, is the real deal. I guess literally 1000s of large animals on all continents have been accounted for with rifles just like this in the last 130 years.
If single shot rifles are your thing in life why not a reall good Martini Enfield. I’m sure one could be obtained for the price of the Umberti.
Motor vehicle Bumper Gas Auto part Automotive exterior

So the question begs to be asked, if buying a modern rifle (even if it is a replica of something else, why is it important to use a caliber like 303 (or 45 70)?
This is not a criticism, just a genuine question.
regards
Alan

·
Registered
7,879 Posts
…..So the question begs to be asked, if buying a modern rifle (even if it is a replica of something else, why is it important to use a caliber like 303 (or 45 70)?
This is not a criticism, just a genuine question.
regards
Alan
My single shot rifles are rifles on a platform I like in a chambering I like.
Not really much else to explain.
Yes, 45-70 is among them too. Why not?

·
Registered
329 Posts
Wow! I really like that rifle!
Regarding what it’s worth, I can’t say. You pays your money, you get the rifle, it‘s value is up to you.

As an aside, why would mine sweepers and Q Ships have a special sporterised rifle as opposed to a standard issue rifle?
Why is it called a No. 4?
All very interesting
alan

·
Registered
7,879 Posts

Just saw this, not cheap but I like it. If it were any other caliber most likely I'd not
pay it any attention but 303 British is one of my favorite calibers. Of course, my wallet tells me if I wanted to stalk, just take my No.5 Jungle Carbine.
The price tag isn’t far off from the rest of the High Wall offerings on the market.
Over the years I have experienced a few shortcomings on some Uberti products. So, I don’t feel as though they are as infallible as others may.
A 303 in just about any ‘85 configuration is attractive to me too. But in this day and age I wouldn’t be lugging it afield either.

Could probably have more discussion if the Lee Speed hadn’t stolen the show.:giggle:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts