Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello altogether, I could not find really informative answers to the question above. How was your experience with this ammo in a Lee-Enfield No. 4, an Enfield P 14 and a Lee-Enfield Mark 3, please? By shooting it in 5-shot groups at 100 yards, 300 yards and - hopefully - still greater distances ?

Because this ammunition is - suddenly very surprising - available in limited quantities here in Switzerland. And because of this small number of cartridges I have to choose if I want to invest them in checking the accuracy of my .303 British-Quartet or to keep those ammunition as a collector's cartridge. Experience with function and reloadability of these cases are of course very welcome.

Many thanks!

Winchester M70 Sharpshooter

Attachments

·
Registered
11,053 Posts
I had heard Hornady uses the same .310 diameter bullets as their X54r "Vintage Match", but have never picked up a box to verify.

I don't know how difficult it is to obtain, but PPU brass has a great reputation for reloadability. I'd go with them based solely on that fact, knowing that your own reloads will probably shoot better than any commercial factory-loaded ammo anyway.

·
Registered
8,049 Posts
I had heard Hornady uses the same .310 diameter bullets as their X54r "Vintage Match", but have never picked up a box to verify.

I don't know how difficult it is to obtain, but PPU brass has a great reputation for reloadability. I'd go with them based solely on that fact, knowing that your own reloads will probably shoot better than any commercial factory-loaded ammo anyway.
They make a great .312” 174gr HPBT Match bullet for the .303. Did anyone actually pull one to measure or just “assume”?

Attachments

·
Administrator
9,590 Posts
Boat tails .303 Projectiles don't work well with Lee Enfield Rifles.
The Mark VII cartridge was designed for a FLAT based FMJ
Projectile, so that the Open Basecould expand into any Rifling Groive Variations...BTs don't Base Upset, and windage
( and different Patterns of Throat erosion) can occur.
( see the Mark 8 story--BT for Vickers )....not for Brens or Rifles except for Emergency Battle use.

Doc AV

35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hello altogether,

Reloadability: Hornadys Rifle Brass seems to be - generally - really good, true. And of course: That's one of the reasons for buying this ammo in the meantime :) But the accuracy ?... .

Other forum: to buy this 80 cartridges were other buyers necessary. Because the Importer here needs for rarely demanded ammo like this at least an order of 200 rounds totally. I had luck - and a competent and quickly reacting dealer here. He said to me, that another one buyed his 60 rounds for a single Lee-Enfield. So maybe you mix me up with one of this two other buyers :verwirrt:

The PPU ammo is - at least in one of their variants - available in CH, too. But I don't know this ammo.. . What do you mean: to buy this PPU and reload . or to buy the Hornady Vintage Match ?

Because I do not reload so far, I wonder the level of accuracy and reliability of the Hornady Vintage Match. Measuring: I don't know.. .

Boat-tails in Lee-Enfields: sometimes we get this impression, right. But sometimes we read, that this differences are not great. And accuracy problems "belong" often to 2-groove-Barrels and the use of Cordit-Ammo in them before.

Greetings

35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ich weiß aus der PPU, dass ein Teil dieser Munition auch hier in der Schweiz existiert. Aber ich würde ein echtes ethisches Problem bekommen, wenn ich serbische Produkte kaufe. ..Im Gegensatz dazu ist Hornady - bis jetzt - für mich ein sympathischer Munitionsproduzent, vor 2018 mehr oder weniger unbekannt. Wegen des kleinen schweizer Munitionsbedarfs ... Hauptsächlich.

Schöne Grüße

·
Administrator
9,590 Posts
What is the Ethical problem with buying PRC or USSR products as well???
" A Gun ( Ammo, accessories etc) is just a Tool...it is neither good nor bad, it only matters how one uses it."
( Allan Ladd, final scenes in
" Shane" ( 1950s).)

Does that answer your question?

Doc AV

·
Registered
13,405 Posts
Personally, I would prefer to buy Made in the USA products, but in the specific case of .303 ammunition, by 'Buying American' you can, more often than not, end up with some pretty poor performing stuff.

I tend to buy Greek or Serbian for my .303 'commercial ammunition' needs.

To me, it is a quality thing.

Seeing as there can't be many manufacturers of .303 in Switzerland, Going outside the borders to get the best available 'stuff' just seems natural to me.

Sorry I brought it up.

35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hello, Ronbo6: no problem. Don't worry. Because a friendly formulated question deserves an answer in the same style, everytime, everywehre, i think. My ethic trouble is what the Serbians did during the 90's in this horrible war in the former Yugoslavia. I give only the keyword Srebrenica, the happenings there especially ongoing from the 11.7.-19.7.1995. I hope, it's obvious now what bothers me the most ? :) Most of us have antipathys and symphatys, so do I.

And there are, luckywise, other ammo suppliers. In .303 British I can still use some older Greek HXP 174 gr-Surplus Cartridges, just as an example. A careful man builds reserves in good times - when it comes to the really important things, is not it ?.. Concerning quality of the PPU: i read different evaluations.. .

Okay... Where is my .303 British-Reserve ammo now ? :oops: Called Winchester - Oh No - "ammo thief"did you struck again ??!.. ;) Text Line Animation Font Animated cartoon
I have to catch and punish you"!?.. Yeess...
We don't have any producer of .303 British Ammo here in CH.. Unfortunately.

·
Registered
15,182 Posts
PPU stands for "First Partizan Company" they fought the Nazis.
Before the breakup there was a second plant in Croatia, but it is now independent as "Igmann" IIRC.
It seems hard to find in the U.S. but I got some back when both were common & its also good ammo.
Personally I just go with value & quality & studiously avoid all "Mittel European" politics.

·
Registered
8,049 Posts
PPU stands for "First Partizan Company" they fought the Nazis.
Before the breakup there was a second plant in Croatia, but it is now independent as "Igmann" IIRC.
It seems hard to find in the U.S. but I got some back when both were common & its also good ammo.
Personally I just go with value & quality & studiously avoid all "Mittel European" politics.
Yep, but Igman is in Bosnia-Herzegovin.. It’s Hard to keep track of all those little “ex-Yugoslavia“ nations.

·
Registered
15,182 Posts
Its "Mittel Europe"
Populated by "Anians"
Roum Anians
Alb Anians
& so on.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Using the Hornady .303 Vintage Match ammo in my No4 Mk2, I’ve been getting 1-1.25” groups at 100 yards. That’s using a Burris 1.5-5x Scope and sand bag rest in the prone position. I have about five boxes left and have been looking everywhere to buy more. Even checked with CMP. They had 8mm and 7.62x55R Hornady Vintage; but, no .303.

·
Registered
5,232 Posts
Have you tried castbullets in your rifle??.I normally shoot one bullet Lyman 314299 wheel weights with %tin. Bullet weighs about 210 grains. Unfortunately I use a discontinued powder IMR 4759. And Hansen Cartridge company cases. At short distances 100-200 yds can be very accurate. One advantage in using cast bullets is that your barrel will last for a very long time. Minimal wear using cast bullets. Frank

·
Registered
15,182 Posts
Tell me about it!
Countries are appearing that were only fictionally mentioned in TV Soap Operas a while back.I'm expecting Upper & Lower Elbonia to show up any day.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts