Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Copper Bullet member
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a box of 303 at a show recently, thought I'd see if anyone knew what it was.
The box reads "H.2313 48 Cartridges Armour Piercing .303 Inch W. MkI I.S.A.A."
The headstamps read "RG 43 WI"
I assume this is old WWII carbide-core AP, assuming the ammo in the box is original. I just hadn't seen any around before. Is this stuff common?

·
Registered
849 Posts
It looks like you have standard British .303 AP, W mark 1 with a 174 gr. projectile moving at about 2,500 fps. The cartridges seem to match the box and were made by Radway Green in 1943. This cartridge has a 93 gr. STEEL core, not carbide. It is a common misconception that AP cores are made of tungsten/tungsten carbide. This is not so. Very, very few AP cartridges were made with TC cores. The vast majority were made of steel, alloyed with a few percents of tungsten for increased hardness. The acceptance proof for this cartridge was that 70% of cartridges fired had to penetrate a 10mm steel plate at 100 yards. Unfortunately, the hardness of the plate is unknown, but assumed to be of some sort of armor plate. Your cartridges are loaded with cordite. I'd say that these are not too commmon and that you made a good find.

D.D.

·
Gold Bullet Member/Moderator/Administrator/
27,562 Posts
How'sa bout

posting a picture of the box and ammo? Thanks

·
Registered
22 Posts
Another way to tell if it is origional WWII British AP ammo is it should have Green sealant around the primer. Sometimes it is hard to see but should be there.

WWII British Ammo:

Ball ammo -- Purple Sealant
Tracer -- Red Sealant
AP -- Green Sealant

·
Copper Bullet member
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yup, green sealer around the primers. I have some old .303 somewhere in my collection with white tips, was told they were tracers. I'll have to dig them out and look at the primers. When I get a chance I'll try to take a photo too.
Thanks, all!

·
Registered
849 Posts
The headstamp alone will tell you if it is an AP or not (unless of course it has been reloaded). The presence of the letter "W" in the headstamp indicates AP. The tracers will likely have a red annulus with the white tip, but the real ID is the leter "G" in the headstamp.

AKMS

·
Gold Bullet Member/Moderator/Administrator/
27,562 Posts
ammo box

"Limpetmine! I think you've already posted a picture of her box and ammo."

nononono, that's just to box, you have the ammo!!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.