Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,260 Posts
USCCo. Aircraft use .30

Typical USCCo. production with ring crimp groove and added three-stab crimp to ensure the primer didn't "Pop" out in flight, and foul up the mechanism.

The "Aircraft Use only" was because the priming compound was specially tested for accurate timing at altitude(synchronised guns) and for reliability.
Such special Ammunition was too expensive to be used by common doughboys on the ground.

The "please wash in soda water" is from the pre-WW I days when units reloaded gallery and blank loads from factory cartridges fired in training... the idea kept going right into the early 1920s, when only "Factory Blanks" were made from recycled once fired Brass...I think the Notice sort of disappeared by 1930s. The soda water washes out the Potassium chloride residues from the corrosive primers, and stops case corrosion.

A bit useless to label Aircraft ammo like that...seeing as only the ground testing and training of gunners would see cases "recovered"...the rest in combat would be scattered literally to the four winds.

Regards, Doc AV
AV Ballistics.

·
Super Moderator
9,260 Posts
USCCo 1918 .30/06

By 1922, USCCo. had virtually ceased to exist, due to cashflow problems due to the sudden end of the war and cessation of government contracts.(it was absorbed by Remington by 1923)
The cases may have been made in 1918, (as HS shows) and filled later...usually within a year, otherwise the priming compound would also be "out of spec" for Aircraft use.
The label "drawing number" may be 1922, and be a succession of "drawing" numbers, over time. It does NOT mean that the ammo was made in 1922.
It may have been "repacked" to clean up old stock...the different Powder types used could indicate this (cartridges from different Lots of Powder, repacked into new boxes, and re-Lotted...a lot if this happened after WW I.--this would have also happened to ex-belted MG ammo back from France.)

Only a research of the "Lot" numbers will give a definite date of completion...and that information has probably been lost since USCco went under.

Regards, Doc AV
AV Ballistics.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Its a nice box,nicer than the one I have,I usually see guys running singles for 2-3 dollars. Id keep it around,maybe wrap it in some acid free archive grade shrink wrap.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts