Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would you guys consider the 300Winmag a big cartridge? I have a new Mossberg in that cartridge and haven't got to shoot it yet. Which cartridge's do you guys consider big bore? From the smallest big bore to the big daddy too dog?
Thanks guys
Jason

·
Registered
35 Posts
300 win mag is .308 in diameter. I wouldn't consider. 30 caliber to be "big bore" per se. In my opinion, once you start getting toward .375 H&H, then you're entering big bore territory.

·
Silver Bullet member
48,476 Posts
back in the old days H&H was the 300 mag.

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
300 Win mag 'used to' be considered a big cartridge a looong time ago. but there are many larger cased cartridges now and the 300 Win mag has been replaced. "big bore" refers to larger diameter bullets; 416 and up. in general, people call 338 to 375 sized bores, the mediums, and 323, 8mm and down are generally called small bore.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks so much for the reply guys. I do look forward to taking it to the range soon..
Have a great vacation weekend...

·
Registered
52 Posts
300 wm is considered a BIG CARTRIDGE not a big BORE.
this is a big BORE forum, there is no big CARTRIDGE forum.

Would you guys consider the 300Winmag a big cartridge? I have a new Mossberg in that cartridge and haven't got to shoot it yet. Which cartridge's do you guys consider big bore? From the smallest big bore to the big daddy too dog?
Thanks guys
Jason

·
Super Moderator
10,997 Posts
Morning Gents,

In Africa the .308 based cartridges are considered medium bores along with the .338 cartridges. The .35 Whelen, 9.3x62, .375 H&H, .416s etc. are large medium bores. Large bores start at the .458 Win Mag and go up from there.

If you shoot any of the true large bores on a regular basis you will understand this rating system.

Warmest regards,

JPS

1 - 8 of 8 Posts