Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
**Warnng: More experiments with resized .375 caliber bullets. Posted for informational purposes. Do not use this load or bullet in your gun. Make sure you properly size bullets and thoroughly test the safety of all loads, working up carefully. Bores/Groove depths vary, as do chamber dimensions in these rifles. Beware!**

This time, the bullet is the .375 caliber Hornady 300 grain Round Nose.

It is snowing here and miserable out, so I can't set up the chronograph at my range and do the full gamut of testing, but in the meantime...

I resized the Hornady to .368 to fit my rifle, and loaded it over 44 grains of H4895 and fired it into the hard clay of my backyard where I do my pressure testing. Most bullets fragment badly and there's not much to recover.

This one, as Daryl has stated before, looks like it has a lot of potential as a big game bullet in the 9.3x57.

Picture shows a loaded cartridge {seted about one caliber deep and still far short of contacting the rifling in my barrel}.

Below, on left, a 285 grain Prvi Partizan and next to it the resized 300 Hornady. The lighter Prvi is actually longer.

To right is a recovered bullet. Distance to impact, about 2 feet. Recovered weight, 191 grains, largest expansion .842, smallest .741. In person, the thing looks like a Remington Core-Lokt advertisement back in the day.

This bullet opens up fast at .375 H&H Mag speeds, but just might act like a controlled expansion bullet at 9.3x57 velocities. Anyway, you fellows who want a stouter constructed bullet for your 9.3x57's than the 285 Prvi or maybe 270 Speer, a bullet that doesn't cost an arm and a leg, might consider a resizing setup. The cost would be about the cost of ONE box of premium 9.3 bullets, and such a setup should allow you to shoot much cheaper .375's.

I can't wait to chrono this load and test it in my ballistic media...

·
Registered
181 Posts
Lee speed,

Can you show pictures of this Bullet resizeing "equipment".

Its snowing northern Idaho in June?

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
not anymore

Well, it was snowing, now it's pouring cold rain!! :(

Snowed yesterday and today. Yeah, it is cold, wet and rainy. Should be February 28 weather!! My wife is in Wash DC where she says it is 96 degrees!

The equipment is simple. Just push-thru drawing dies from Lee. I use three for this rifle: a .372, .370 and .368 die, running the bullet thru the .368 die twice. The dies are $25.00 each and include a push stem that snaps into the press.

This is based on a rifle with a .369 groove depth and enough neck clearance to release a .368 bullet {actually, this rifle will release a .371 bullet}.

I use Hornady "Unique" case lube to lube the bullets. See the post on 220 grain Hornady bullets.

Here's the next bullet up to bat:

Hornady 225 grain .375 Spire Point sized to .368 and running about 2500 fps into the same clay!

·
Registered
181 Posts
So you are useing the Lee Cast bullet sizeing kit with special order dies per diameter, looks like.

Hows that working with copper jackets? You have to cut .002 off only at a time?

How Are the finished resized copper jacketed bullets far as grouping accuracy on a target

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So you are useing the Lee Cast bullet sizeing kit with special order dies per diameter, looks like.

Hows that working with copper jackets? You have to cut .002 off only at a time?

How Are the finished resized copper jacketed bullets far as grouping accuracy on a target
Yes, I request: "long taper for jacketed bullets" when ordering.

Read this post and see what you think RE: accuracy.

http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?t=44120

I am very happy with the system now. My early attempts were fraught with trouble as I tried to size too much and undersized the bullets anyhow. Now I am sizing to .001 under groove depth. I anticipate accuracy just about as good as I can get with factory 9.3 bullets...maybe better than some, as most 9.3's are .366, a full .003 under groove for my rifle.

On the NE forum there is a thread called "Sizing Bullets" I posted and it shows the die setup and procedure.

·
Registered
841 Posts
:Looking good LeeSpeed. As to the reference in correspondence to sooted necks, this can also be caused by hardeneing of the brass and can be an indication that annealing is in order before they start splitting. Since I am getting 2,170fps with the 45.0gr. H4895 load, wihc is good indeed, a full 100fps higher than factory loads with the 286gr., I suggest neck hardening may be the cause of the soot.
: I am surprised the 300's riveted back so far, but then, hard clay is rather unforgiving. In light of the really violent expansion of the 225 gr. which has a very heavy jacket and is designed for much higher velocities, it appears the 300gr. did very well.
: Incidently, the drawn 225gr. shoot very well in my rifle, as do the 300's. In my rifle, with iron sights & at 50 yards the drawn Hornady 225gr. Spire Points went into an inch ofr 5. My rifle has a .370" groove diameter and they are reduced to .367", only .001" larger than the sotre bought 270gr. and 232gr. which also shoot well.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I suggest neck hardening may be the cause of the soot.

: I am surprised the 300's riveted back so far, but then, hard clay is rather unforgiving. In light of the really violent expansion of the 225 gr. which has a very heavy jacket and is designed for much higher velocities, it appears the 300gr. did very well.
QUOTE]

Thanks for the tip.

I'll check with new cases. Do you remember what primers you used, and if they showed any flattening at the 45 gr charge?

I am really curious as to what will happen with the 300 and 225 Horn's in my test media, where I can compare them to other bullets. Yes, shooting into the dirt at a couple feet from the bayonet end of the gun is pretty tough on bullets, so these two seem to have done well, compared to others I've tried to dig up that simply went to pieces.

BTW:

I've been a leery of the 225 as the tech at Hornady told me it is designed for impacts of 2400-2500 and higher. Should be fine at x57 speeds to at least 100 yards, but at further range, I have wondered how they might open up. When I can get some shot into the boards and jugs and compare with the Prvi, I'll have a better feel for them.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Again, fine work Lee. I have decided to get some Lee sizing dies. That is a good idea to ask for the long lead for jacketed bullets.

I have a question that is slightly off topic but 9.3x57 related: Ever make brass from 30-06?? The price of 8x57 makes me choke but I have 500 pcs of 30-06 UPB sitting around. I can go through the mechanics of making it (I made up a dozen test cases) but I was wondering about neck thickness.I hate turning and reaming necks unless absolutely necessary. ~Andy

PS Snowed here today, too.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks.

Ammoe, where are you?

Neck thickness is the only issue I can think of that would be of particular concern in making 9.3x57's from .30-06 cases. '06 cases certainly allow the case length to be easily adjusted from the start, that is, for overlong chambers.

Make sure necks are thin enough for proper bullet release and you should be fine.

This is especially of concern when you are fitting bullets to your specific rifle. For example, I have some Wolf Gold 8x57 brass {made by Prvi I believe} that has necks just thick enough I don't plan to use them with cast bullets. Remingtons in my rifle are fine.

I am really curious to see what these 300 and 225 bullets chrono and shoot for groups. Weather allowing!!!

·
Registered
537 Posts
Lee: I'm outside of Billings, Montana.

Yes. The Neck thickness issue is a concern. It occurred to me that I could slit a case with a jewler's saw and measure the thickness directly. The case mouth area is using the original neck thickness of the 30-06 casing. After shaving it back there remains about 050" of mouth left. It is in deeper that I worry about... though not too much. I have made 8x57 from 30-06 back before I worried about such things (youth!) and never had a problem. I will find a way to measure it and let you know. The process is fast but after you shave it back to the required OAL and then resize it, it gains about .020 in length that needs a final trim. It will of course, require fire forming, but it does fit nicely in my Husky.

Heck. Maybe by Fall I'll have a deer load worked up... after I finish stocking it, of course!~Andy

·
Registered
841 Posts
Ammoe- you will have the do-nut to deal with as well, due to the shorter case legnth and changed shoulder location of the 57mm case. Inside neck reaming is the minimul fix with outside neck turning being best, of course.
: If the neck of your chamber is large enough, you may only have to remove the do-nut.
: Leespeed - here's my primer pictures - 270gr. @ 2,300fps, 232gr. at 2,450fps and 300gr. at 2,170fps, 270 and 300 used H4895 - 48.0. for the 270 and 45.0gr. in the 300gr. load. The 232N orma was 56.0gr. BLC2. Oops, primers were Winchester large rifle. Sorry the pic was fuzzy. Cases were left to right, Gevelo, then RP 8x57.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts