Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Gold Bullet member
2,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A relatve has a Luger in .30 that has been neglected for decades-The barrel is gone-My question is: Can I have the gun rebarreled to 9mm , is the chamber similar??-Pls help-Tks

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Just...

...be sure its not some kind of rare collectors item, otherwise the 30 cal is just a necked down 9mm, same mag and a better caliber would make that a good rebarrel. Keep the old barrel tucked away somewhere in case it becomes a collectors item! Lugers do that.

·
Gold Bullet member
2,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Montello, I have not seen the pistol yet, but my intention, if I buy it, is to rebarrel it because its for sure the barrel is in bad condition-When I say rebarrel I mean not changing the barrel but resizing the existing barrel-I had this done years ago in a 7.63 Mauser Broomhandle by a guy in Montana,I dont remember well, I'll look in my papers-The Mauser works allright so I hope the Luger works

·
Registered
7,401 Posts
Montello, I have not seen the pistol yet, but my intention, if I buy it, is to rebarrel it because its for sure the barrel is in bad condition-When I say rebarrel I mean not changing the barrel but resizing the existing barrel-I had this done years ago in a 7.63 Mauser Broomhandle by a guy in Montana,I dont remember well, I'll look in my papers-The Mauser works allright so I hope the Luger works

I think you mean "rebore" the original barrel to 9mm Luger, right? Might be cheaper to just buy and fit a 9mm luger barrel (SARCO and others stock them in various lengths) than to have a shop rebore the original one.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
lugar barrel info

It is easy to reline one in 9mm. As was stated it works good. Some guys make their own liners out of MG barrels and works good. A whole upper might be another option. Sunfish

·
Gold Bullet member
2,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ammolab, tks for the advice, I'm going to buy a spare barrel-Havent seen the pistol yet, if its a rare piece(I hope) I'll post it

1 - 8 of 8 Posts