Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Great new format for the website!!! Kudos to those upstairs.

I am low on .30 carbine and looked on the web for some more. The best deal I find is Sportsman's Guide for Wolf at about $200/1000 including shipping. Is it better anywhere else?

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
AIM Surplus has it a tad cheaper & is a site sponsor. Widener's Reloading has the same thing for $16 less per case. Additionally, they are more competent & friendly than Squirtsman Guide, don't play silly games with secret squirrel codes & backorders, and are not French.

If you want brass cased ammo Aguila isn't bad, though it costs about fifty bucks a case more than Wolf. Site Sponsors have it, as do most vendors.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, that's good to know. It's always better to support the sponsors. Anyone have any feedback on the .30M1 ammo from Wolf...Chronograph data, feeding-cycling reliability, etc.?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Feeding, cycling and reliability of the polymer Wolf has been fine in my three WWII M1 Carbines, a Rockola, Winchester and IBM.
The Wolf is dirty. Ammo prices are just going through the roof!

Good Luck!
GES...........................

·
Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet Member
59,988 Posts
Ammo has been doing better than the stock market lately.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I ordered just out 1000 rds. of the Aguila stuff, $253 to my door. Thanks for the advice. I think that I have an old set of .30 carbine loading dies stuck away somewhere for the carbine and may give that a go later, if I can find the brass!!!

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
I ordered just out 1000 rds. of the Aguila stuff, $253 to my door. Thanks for the advice. I think that I have an old set of .30 carbine loading dies stuck away somewhere for the carbine and may give that a go later, if I can find the brass!!!

You can get bulk brass from Midway, grafs & others when you are ready to start reloading.

·
Diamond+ Bullet Member
1,635 Posts
Hmmmm The CMP site has a few articles that advise against the Wolf .30 carbine loads...

Likely written by somebody that doesn't like steel cased ammo in guns lol

·
Gold Bullet Member
2,911 Posts
I believe that one can reload steel cases: In a reloading manual i have somewhere they say it's a tad difficult, but do-able. The primers may or may not be berdan for the wolf: I know for some calibers built by the american market (.45ACP, .40S&W) that they use boxers, i guess it's because it's not worth the effort to redesign a case never made for berdan primers from boxer to berdan even if it is likely possible, as 9mms exist in both flavors. Berdan doesn't mean it's unreloadable, just harder to do. Aluminium, like blazers, apparently can't be reloaded because they tend to split.

Probably best to just buy: m1 carbine ammo can still be had out there for decent prices, either wolf or aguila. Just never buy something unjacketed from aguila. Their lead .32's and .22's are nasty to clean up after. Their copper coated .22's never give me problems on clean up though.

Oh, and finally, SPG has problematic customer relations. If they get your home address, they will inundate you with magazines full of worthless junk.

·
Registered
124 Posts
You might have read one of my posts there concerning my Bad experience with Wolf in my Winchester Carbine. It was running perfectly until I used a couple of boxes of Wolf steel cased stuff. LOng story short. My chamber got fouled up with some really black crap And I was getting ejecting problems Plus extracting problems caused by a chip in my extractor. Cleaned up the c hamber real good and replaced the e xtractor. Carbine back to Normal with No problems. I had 5 boxes of that Wolf that I immediately sold to my local dealer! In my expereinces, Wolf has worked good in AK's ,Sks', and , yes, in my Olympic Shorty AR. BUt Not in the 20 inch Bushmaster I had. Others have had problems with Wolf in Carbines And long barreled Ar's. JUst my views on this subject.
I have been finding GI carbine ammo with good regularity at the shows lately. Picked up 327 rounds of WRA 53 loose yesterday(Mint ammo) at a show. Got several Bandoliers of GI crabine ammo(different years up to 1972) for $35.00 a bandolier of 120 with clips and guides. A very good commercial company is Georgia Arms and their Carbine ammo is top notch. That Aguila Is good also.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Tell me more about your .30 cal carbine finds.. What's up with wolf. How many people here run it thru their USGI carbines. I need an update before I go an buy a case. Sure I'll a few 50rnd boxes first, but Id like to hear some of your experiences first.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
ive fired a bit of wolf 30 cal with no problems so far just be sure to clean it very very well when done,as clietus says goergia arms produces some very fine ammo,prices arent bad either and ive fired TONS OF IT! yes its remanufactured ammo but so what..it works well and they allways seem to have what i need and want

1 - 16 of 16 Posts