Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a carbine, M1 Garand and a M1A and am wondering about "tried and true" loads for the three. I'm kinda of interested in a powder that I can use in all three that has low fouling properties. For the M1 and M1A I have a 1000 pulled bullets that are FMJ-BT and your standard 110 round nose bullets for the carbine. Anyone have any recipes for these where I might use the same powder? I'm not shooting in matches and just love to destroy milk jugs and the like. Thanks

·
Registered
7,409 Posts
Your loads in 30-06 could "share" a propellant with ease (4895,4064, 3031)...and many others.

But you are not going to get a satisfactory Carbine load with those moderate rate Rifle powders. The .30 carbine is more of a pistol round than a service rifle round and need a much faster burning powder to get the projectile speed and gas port pressure to funciton the weapon.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Powder

For the carbine try W/W 296.For the .308 and the 30-06 most of the medium (4895,4064,Varget R15)will work out just fine.The carbine round is basicaly a skinny .357 and as such is best loaded with slow pistol powder or veeeery fast rifle(4227)powder.One stop shopping is nice in theory but rarely workk in the real world.Will

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Seconds on W296 for the M1 carbine. About 15 grains will give you the best speed and accuracy, but it is the max recommended load. Work up to it. You can also try Accurate #9, about 11.5 grains according to the CMP website.

For 223/308/30-06 it is hard to beat 4895/varget/RL15.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
What is the purpose of "working up" to a maximum load? Is it to find the best accuracy for that particular firearm with that particular bullet weight? What other reasons are there? IMR 4895 creates higher pressures that Hogdon 4895. Any suggestions for hard primers to use? Trying to find powder loads for all my 03A3's and M1 Garand (150 gr bullet) so that means full length sizeing for reloads.

·
Registered
7,409 Posts
"What is the purpose of "working up" to a maximum load? Is it to find the best accuracy for that particular firearm with that particular bullet weight?"

A published "max load" may be unsafe and OVER pressure in your firearm. There are many variables in internal balistics....thus one recipe for a safe MAX load may not be safe and proper in all situations/firearms that would be possible with that particular loading. So you should start at least 10% or more below a listed "MAX" and work up to that in increments.... checking for signs of excessive pressure as you go.

Accuracy is a whole nother matter....simply a trial and error endevor. Rifles are like individuals, some like Steak...others like Pizza. If you want the utmost in accuracy from YOUR rifle and YOUR handloads, you must try...and try ....and try...

·
Gold Bullet member
550 Posts
"What is the purpose of "working up" to a maximum load? Is it to find the best accuracy for that particular firearm with that particular bullet weight?"

A published "max load" may be unsafe and OVER pressure in your firearm. There are many variables in internal balistics....thus one recipe for a safe MAX load may not be safe and proper in all situations/firearms that would be possible with that particular loading. So you should start at least 10% or more below a listed "MAX" and work up to that in increments.... checking for signs of exessive pressure as you go.

Accuracy is a whole nother matter....simply a trial and error endevor. Rifles are like individuals, some like Steak...others like Pizza. If you want the utmost in accuracy from YOUR rifle and YOUR handloads, you must try...and try ....and try...
DITTO

As usual ammolab hits the nail on the head !!

Just cleaned up the reloading bench and set up the new RCBS Chargemaster combo to load some 30 Cal Carbine. Using 15 gr of W296. Be safe and stay alive !!!!

regards....roger

·
Registered
414 Posts
Well let's say this.

There are powders you could use in all 3 that would be safe; however it means you would be using one fast enough for the carbine. That would be too fast for anything but plinker loads in the larger cases.

For instance, IMR 4227 has been mentioned. Good choice for the carbine. You can use it for reduced loads in the 06 etc. as well but it is hardly a great choice for normal loads.

I personally use AA9 in the carbine, or its milsurp equivalent (WC820) and 4895 in the 06.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys! Think I'm going with 4227 and 4895.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts