Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ran across two separate lots of ammo already on en block clips for the Garand rifles.

Wondering if these are factory loads or reload and if any good.

The first lot headstamp reads 30 IM 30 66, I am guessing these are factory loads from Deutsche Waffen-u. Munitionsfabriken A.-G., Facility in Herstal Belgium under German occupation (ex-FN) made in 1966.

The second lot has silver bullets and the head stamp reads VE 2-58 D 7.62. I am guessing these are re-loads but the case is from February 1958 maybe made by Cartoucherie de Valence, Valence, France.

Confirmation or correction would be appreciated.

Jim Ammunition Bullet Gun accessory Metal
Screw Hardware accessory Fastener
Fastener Hardware accessory

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
the IM heads tamped ammo is ok, corrosive, but shootable - I seem to remember it was Korean. the French is dangerous, and you should not use or sell it. Personally seen several rifles ? MGs damaged by it. tear down for components.

·
Gold Bullet member
1,178 Posts
The French made ammo was intended for the Model 1919 LMG's that the French used in large numbers will into the 1970's. The loading was intended for the recoil operation system of the LMG and not for the Garand. This ammo was sold in large amounts in the 1990's, pack in loose in 20 rd. boxes. Someone loaded them into the Garand clips. Safe enough for a 1919 or bolt action, but not a gas operated rifle. And corrosive.

·
Copper Bullet member
9,815 Posts
If ammo can be REALLY corrosive, the French is. I personally wouldn't use it at all, but if you do, clean it well, thoroughly in every nook and cranny, and immediately.

·
Diamond Member
489 Posts
I shot a large quantity of VE in an US 17 around 1983, they were accurate.

Those sold in US in the 80's and 90's in 20 rounds carton were the SFM, I used them in a Garand.

·
Gold Bullet member
1,178 Posts
Corrosive is corrosive. There is no degree of corrosive. One makers is not more so than another. Through cleaning is the order of the day. There are solvents made expressly for corrosive priming, if you cannot find that, warm, lightly soapy water followed by drying and then normal cleaning and oiling.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I shoot corrosive somewhat frequently, I have a full case (yeah, I probably should sell a few dozen cans as the supply is more than many life times) of the US GI corrosive bore cleaning solvent. It is old but seems to work okay.

Thanks guys.

Jim

·
Registered
14 Posts
I shot some of the French stuff with silver bullets back in the day in M1 Garand. Shot fine. Left overnight without cleaning, muzzle and bore and gas leakage around cylinder was a nice brown color. Scared me, but cleaned up fine. No I won't use again in anything.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
"German occupation was over in 1956. Make that may 5th, 1955, looked it up to be sure. "

WTF ??

The German occupation of Belgium ?? The Nazzii as*holes were mostly run out by September 1944. Maybe doubletee needs a new History book ?

Or do you mean the ALLIED occupation of West Germany ??

Anyway, the Frenchie ammo really is crap. Shooting it in a beat up bolt rifle might be ok. In my experience you will get split cases at neck and , worse yet, the head. Not sure if due from lousy French manufacture , poor storage or both...........

·
Registered
178 Posts
Corrosive is corrosive. There is no degree of corrosive. One makers is not more so than another. Through cleaning is the order of the day. There are solvents made expressly for corrosive priming, if you cannot find that, warm, lightly soapy water followed by drying and then normal cleaning and oiling.
Agree. "Corrosive is corrosive." My solution is boiling water with a dash of Dawn. Followed by a proper cleaning/oiling.
When I was in the Air Force the policy was "Shoot on Monday, clean Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday."
Worked for me.
Aim High! It allows for bullet drop.

·
Registered
122 Posts
"German occupation was over in 1956. Make that may 5th, 1955, looked it up to be sure. "

WTF ??

The German occupation of Belgium ?? The Nazzii as*holes were mostly run out by September 1944. Maybe doubletee needs a new History book ?

Or do you mean the ALLIED occupation of West Germany ??...........
Ivan I. is right. Belgium was liberated in september 1944.

·
Banned
3,018 Posts
I am curious how the french or what ever ammo is safe in a browning MG and bolt action rifle, but not a garand. The op rod is vulnerable to high port pressures that could occur with some some ammo tht is not intended for the garand for sure, but the action is not a weak one and case head support is better than what is seen in a 1917 enfield or springfield rifle. High gas pressure can bend a op rod and can also batter the receive through excessive recoil. Extended use I suppose might damage the bolt and receiver. The GI gas port if regulated for 4895 powder producing about 2600 to 2700 fps with a 150 grain bullet, but the garand also was used with an AP load that was a little hotter.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.