Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A senior lady I know at our shooting range gave me a box of ammo today. She's close to 70 years old. A big box. Close to 350 rounds of 30-06 and 85 rounds of 303 Brit. She told me it was in her dad's underground fallout shelter in the 1960's and just wanted to dispose of it.

The 30-06 is in 60-round bandoliers on 5-round stripper clips. Copper FMJ that the bullets stick to a magnet. The headstamp is C N 5 40. So far it seems that it is "clandestine" ammo not actually made in 1940, but Lake City 1953. So my questions are (1) is it M2 Ball (I have a CMP Garand), (2) is it corrosive, and (3) does it have value beyond basic target practice fodder?

The 303 is marked VPT 38. I believe it was made in Finland for British machineguns in aircraft and Lewis guns in AA mounts given to Finland. (1) Is this correct? (2) Is it Cordite? (3) Is it safe to use in No1 Enfields?

Thanks in advance!
Gas Close-up Auto part Watch Circle
Musical instrument Sleeve Wood Denim Tints and shades
Wood Gas Cylinder Gun accessory Household hardware
Wood Font Flooring Wood stain Hardwood
Office supplies Writing implement Material property Wood Gun accessory

·
Registered
8,049 Posts
CN was a fake headstamp used in the middle 1950s. there were three used, AN, BN and CN, each was for a different manufacturer, one was Federal, forget the other two.
US military ammunition plant/plants made the CN and other similar headstamped 30-06. Lake City Most likely. It is noncorrosive M2 ball.

The Finnish .303 is Berdan/corrosive and I doubt loaded with cordite. There is no reason it would harm a rifle (no, it is not “hot MG ammo”). Expect a LOT of duds.

·
Registered
15,183 Posts
"
VPT
Valtion Patruunatehdas, Lapua, Finland produced Ilmavoimat Konekivaarin Patruuna Kal 7.70 machine gun cartridges, which are interchangeable with the .303 cartridge in... 'Special' B, 'Special' AP. "

Reactions: Crunch130
1 - 9 of 9 Posts