Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I aquired this 3 rifle group from a WW2 veteran's son. He ( the vet) was a machinist/fabricator in the navy and told me he found these in a building when he was in Japan as part of the occupation force. He stated he found a japanese carpenter, and had him make a box and he had them shipped home. I have spoken to the vet on the phone and plan to visit him and hopefully record some of his experieces during the war, and also see if he will notarize a statement regarding aquiring the rifles and maybe find capture papers if he has them. I would like to document some history of these vets while they are still here. When he got home, he greased the action and barrel and put them in the attic for 60+ years. When I got them, they were covered in minor surface rust, unfortunately. I cleaned the rust off with very fine bronze wool and oil. They have not been messed with in any way besides my cleaning. From what I can find out:
1. Japanese navy type 1 matching
2. Nagoya series 2 matching
3. Howa Jyuko series 9 SLD- bolt is not matching, but looks like safety is the proper one

From what the vet told me, these were mailed home directly and never went aboard a ship where the bolts were removed, so I am surprised a the bolt mismatch on the SLD- any thoughts. I will learn more when I visit this gentleman in 2 or 3 months. Please offer comments and educate me more on these rifles. So far I only have MROJ as a book. How rare are these rifles compared to other japanese rifles?

Attachments

·
Registered
977 Posts
awesome find!! get as much info from the vet as possible and definately get it noterized. it's extremely rare to get a package like that from one vet AND he's still alive AND willing to document the stuff. good luck with the bringback papers too!! i have 6 or 7 with bringback paperwork and one from okinawa that i was able to speak with the vet about. as far as value and rarity there are better people here on the forum at determining that issue. my guess would be the navy type 1 the best, the howa next and nagoya series 2 last.

·
Registered
8,507 Posts
The Howa rifle is not a SLD. It's just an oridinary sustitute rifle manufactured by Howa under Nagoya supervision. By the way Howa is still in business today. Making sporting rifles. They actually manufactured the AR180 for a time.

·
Registered
656 Posts
That's a great score! The only bringback I have that went aboard a ship is my latest piece, a Nagoya series 6 that has the mum and is somehow still matching. It came from a family friend of mine who was in the navy and he acquired the rifle during occupation (I'm not sure if he meant occupation of any one particular island or if he meant occupation of Japan). After he got home in 1946 he stuck the rifle in his closet, where it sat until a few months ago when he gave it to me after our church service. Other than that I have a flag captured from the Philippines and a helmet from Okinawa. Keep up the great work and hope you learn some cool things from that veteran!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The Howa rifle is not a SLD. It's just an oridinary sustitute rifle manufactured by Howa under Nagoya supervision. By the way Howa is still in business today. Making sporting rifles. They actually manufactured the AR180 for a time.
Thank you everyone for the responses. Yes, I am really looking forward to talking more with my new veteran friend. I have talked to him on the phone, and his son is a friend of mine. BigEd, what makes an SLD? The differences between that and a substitute standard? Thank you, these are really interesting!

·
Banned
2,142 Posts
substitute standard is a term coined for rifles of a shortened production time/cost such as one screw rear swivel, fixed peep sight, pinned front band, etc. the Special Last Ditch term comes from a small run of Jinsen made rifles in the 40th series that feature a unique marking on the receiver, a scalloped out bolt release, flat front band, etc.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks t94. Should the Nagoya have wings on the rear sight and monopod? As far as I can determine, once he got home, he just stored them in the attic, so if they had come with them they must have been removed in Japan prior to him getting them? From what I have read, Howa's are scarce- how about the type1 and series 2 nagoya? The Nagoya is nicely made.

·
Registered
977 Posts
the nagoya series 2 should have wings on the rear sight and a monopod. it is not a scarce model but prices are going up for anything mummed and matching. plus it's an early production 99 so its well made. the howa is nice and fairly scarce and the naval type 1 is scarce. good haul.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Here is some shots of the numbers I found on the type 1 sling. I didn't know if it was the proper sling or not, but now feel that it is- not the same numbered rifle, but same serial # pattern. Any input from more experienced collectors- does this look correct for a type 1- thanks for sharing your knowledge, these rifles are fascinating!

Attachments

·
Registered
912 Posts
Rifles awfully cool but looks like an M1 Carbine sling

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.