Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thought I'd show off the goodies that we have acquired.

The three main variants of the paratroopers designed an trialed/used by Japan.

4th series Nagoya type 1 paratrooper.

1st series Nagoya Type 100/Type 00 paratrooper

I forgot the markings on the type 2

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Snob! I’m happy with my mismatched (front and back halves) Type 2. I think these are the most interesting of all the Arisakas.

·
Gold Bullet member
10,639 Posts
Very nice! Thanks for posting!

·
Registered
306 Posts
Back in the mid 80's, I knew a guy that got interested in Japanese rifles and I strongly suggested he do some research before he started collecting. He didn't. He got a table at the next gun show and put up a "Japanese Rifles Wanted" sign. An old Vet said he had a rifle and went home and got it. It was in pretty good shape except the stock had been cut at teh wrist with a crude hinge on one side and a latch on the other. My associate turned his nose up at this "piece of junk" and the Vet got hot. I calmly asked the Vet what he would be willing to take for the rifle, he shoved it at me and said I could have it and stormed off! Yep, it was a Type 1 paratrooper. I eventually traded it away, of course I should have kept it.

I don't care what you want to collect, firearms, stamps, coins, or butterflies. Do the research first!

·
Premium Member
1,112 Posts
Very Nice! Twenty years ago, I bought a beautiful type 2 a from Manions Auction, having settled on it, when I realized the type 1 I was chasing, went North of 5K. At the time it was 1800- and was featured in Military Trader magazine, as probably the high price for one at the time. I'm glad I have it, but I really wanted the Type 1, I'm a little envious! And the Type 100, that puts it over the top!

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
That is a super nice collection all in itself!!! Thanks for sharing them with us.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Great Trinity of unique solutions the Japanese designed to solve the dilemma of a paratrooper jumping (and landing) with a rifle. Thanks for showing it

·
Registered
5 Posts
these are so cool! thanks for sharing!

keep forgetting the type 1 were made from type 38 carbines, the length gave me pause before I remembered haha.

·
Gold Bullet member
10,639 Posts
The Type 100 paratrooper rifles are rarely seen offered for sale so it’s hard to estimate a current market value. Anyone care to speculate on a number?

Just curious. :)

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The Type 100 paratrooper rifles are rarely seen offered for sale so it’s hard to estimate a current market value. Anyone care to speculate on a number?

Just curious. :)
We grabbed this one with a repro bolt handle about 2600. If we find a nicer one we'll sell this off.

·
Gold Bullet member
10,639 Posts
We grabbed this one with a repro bolt handle about 2600. If we find a nicer one we'll sell this off.

Thanks for the information! Sadly a missing original detachable handle bolt is a problem shared by a number of owners of the Type 100. The design seems inherently prone to breakage so I suppose that it’s not surprising that some of these rare rifles are missing their original bolts.

I have not tried to keep an accurate count but over the last thirty some years I have probably seen at least three, perhaps four, Type 100 rifles with either a reproduction two piece bolt or a regular Type 99 bolt.

It’s easy to lose track of time but it wasn’t that long ago that there was a bit of controversy here on Gun Boards when an owner of a Type 100 with a standard one piece bolt insisted that his rifle was correct and proper in that configuration. I was not alone in disagreeing with said theory and conjecture.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts