Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While waiting for the rest of the family to ready themselves for a Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra (PSO), (one of the best symphonies in the world), concert featuring my Favorite Finnish Composer (FFC), Jean Sibelius http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jean_Sibelius I had time for a drink and needed a couple Finnish Friends to keep me company.

I took three Recent Finnish Friends (RFF) from the locker and put them together in the Early Autumn Afternoon Light (EAAL), together for the first time.

Let's all have a drink to celebrate Jean Sibelius and other Finnish composers!

·
Diamond w/Oak Clusters and Swords Bullet Member
None of your business.
17,638 Posts
Nice pics Shy! Nice rifles too! And what were you drinking may I ask?

:D My favorite symphony CD is Metallica with the SF Symphony:D

COME ON! Look at my screen name!:D:D

Actually, I was raised on clasical music. Clasical solo guitar is somethig to enjoy. :)

Gary

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice pics Shy! Nice rifles too! And what were you drinking may I ask?

:D My favorite symphony CD is Metallica with the SF Symphony:D

COME ON! Look at my screen name!:D:D

Actually, I was raised on clasical music. Clasical solo guitar is somethig to enjoy. :)

Gary
Gary, seek out Jean Sibelius and you will see he rocked, only in an earlier manner. Even a Rocker can have some diversity. :cool: I play Clapton myself and love the Blues, but I also like the old stuff.

I was at the Ann Arbor Blues Festival when Woodstock was happening. Bad timing, but I was only ~13 and was sent there by the 'rents to spend the month with my Uncle. Johnny Winters, Blind Lemon Jefferson played Double White came out that summer. The kid in that neighborhood knew where pot was grown. Tear gas traces in the U of M University bookstore.:eek: Those were times,what?

·
None of your business.
17,638 Posts
Gary, seek out Jean Sibelius and you will see he rocked, only in an earlier manner. Even a Rocker can have some diversity. :cool: I play Clapton myself and love the Blues, but I also like the old stuff.

I was at the Ann Arbor Blues Festival when Woodstock was happening. Bad timing, but I was only ~13 and was sent there by the 'rents to spend the month with my Uncle. Johnny Winters, Blind Lemon Jefferson played Double White came out that summer. The kid in that neighborhood knew where pot was grown. Tear gas traces in the U of M University bookstore.:eek: Those were times,what?
The only thing I don't like Shy is Rap (the gansta cuss your a$$ of $h17) and disco. Oh, country....I really have to be drunk to listen to that. Then I can relate. Easy to play though. My very first concert was Jimi Hendrix in Seattle 1970. Or so...about a month before he died. :( I still remember my mom handing me the paper and saying, "Isn't this the guy your cousins took you to see?" I have seen Jeferson Airplane free in Golden Gate park, as well as the Gratefull Dead. Stepenwolf, Vanilla Fudge, ....??? geez. I was 12 when I saw Hendrix. Oh! Grand Funk! .....

Ah! The good ole days.

By the way, Beethoven Rocked.

Gary

·
Registered
89 Posts
I have never done Mosins and the Symphony, but I have done Mosin cleaning while listening to some of my favorite stuff from Elmore James, Lightnin' Hopkins, Otis Rush, Blind Willie McTell, Magic Sam, Hound Dog Taylor, B.B, King, Albert Collins, Muddy, Howlin' Wolf, and Stevie Ray. Occasionally I will throw in some memories of High School and play some Maiden, Priest, Dio, and Megadeth in a feeble attempt of convincing myself that I'm not getting old and mellow. It's hard to clean a pile of Mosins while headbanging.

·
None of your business.
17,638 Posts
It's hard to clean a pile of Mosins while headbanging.
No it's not. It's hard cleaning a Mosin listening to Neal Sedaka, or Abba...

Now, if ya really want to do some cleaning, listen to John Lee Hooker.

Gary

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I have never done Mosins and the Symphony, but I have done Mosin cleaning while listening to some of my favorite stuff from Elmore James, Lightnin' Hopkins, Otis Rush, Blind Willie McTell, Magic Sam, Hound Dog Taylor, B.B, King, Albert Collins, Muddy, Howlin' Wolf, and Stevie Ray. Occasionally I will throw in some memories of High School and play some Maiden, Priest, Dio, and Megadeth in a feeble attempt of convincing myself that I'm not getting old and mellow. It's hard to clean a pile of Mosins while headbanging.
Some tunes to clean MNs by, from my IPod list:

Ma Vlast: Blanik 14:23 B. Smetana, BERGLUND, PAAVO/DRESDEN STATE ORCHESTRA Smetana - Ma Vlast Classical (this is a must have--huge Czech music!)

Daddy Will Be Home One Day 2:28 Lightnin' Hopkins Aladdin Recordings (2) Blues

Funk No. 49 4:06 James Gang Rides Again (Remastered) Rock

Der Rebbe Elimelekh 6:24 The Flying Bulgar Klezmer Band The Flying Bulgar Klezmer Band World

Rattlesnake Highway 4:17 John Fogerty Blue Moon Swamp Rock

Sheep Shell Corn 2:26 Bruce Hornsby & Ricky Skaggs Ricky Skaggs & Bruce Hornsby Country 13

Baby, Let Me Follow You Down [Reprise] 2:48 Bob Dylan & The Band The Last Waltz [Disc 2] Rock

'Round Midnight 13:12 Dexter Gordon Jazz: The Definitive Performances [Disc 2] Jazz

And of course...Have A Cigar 5:09 Pink Floyd Wish You Were Here Rock

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My Mosins prefer Tchaikovsky, of course. Even the Finnish ones since it's Imperial era.
So nice to hear from you. Sounds like your trip to NGD is causing some storage challenges. I can help you solve them--just send your seconds to me! :D

Of course, your are correct regarding MN cleaning music.

The Great Gates of Kiev (Mussorgsky) is another must, just not on the Ipod yet. And the 1912 Overture. At Fager's Island in Ocean City MD, they time the cannons firing with the sunset and blast this out every night in the summer.

Other Russian composers I know and enjoy due to my son's musicality include:

Dvorak

Glinka

Mahler (not Russian but very dark mooded--he should have been Russian)

I must remark if you have not listened to the Smetana, you owe it to yourself to do so. This is one powerful piece that most people do not know. It is a trip down the river, past his home city and the woodwinds shine in this composition. Best heard with a cigar and a Bourbon after cleaning MNs, perhaps in front of a campfire.

Best,
Shy

·
Gold Bullet member
4,946 Posts
I like the music of a Dewey's rod sliding easily up the clean bore of any old Mosin myself! I listen to just about any kind of music they can make in this world. Rap is not music just a distorted sound in a the world that I don't need to be annoyed with at this age! I have been really getting into Blue Grass since moving to WV. I just really enjoyed a local benefit concert for the High School Blue Grass Group by an outfit called Nothin' Fancy. That is the best I have heard ever!!!! They hit everything and are almost unimaginable in variety with a conservatory trained fiddle player who is able to play anything with the fervor of a madman! By the way Shy those are absolutely great looking chunks of wood! Whoops I mean rifles! I just get stopped dead on good looking wood! Bill

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.