Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As promised, here are pics of my new 29/40.

On the up side, the blueing is decent. The receiver has the F.B. Radom with the bird, 660 on the receiver, and wz. stuck out with 29/40. All WaA marks are present where they are supposed to be, and the swastikas intact. All the matching parts are WaA 623 or 77. Bore is decent as well.

The downside, stock is sanded and refinished. I think the stock is renumbered as it is sanded enough to lose all the markings, but the serial number is in the right spot and quite prominent. Also, inside the stock there is a different number on the barrel channel. The barrel is import marked - GERMANY. There is some pitting on the triggerguard, and it looks like someone slopily tried to reblue it. The only parts that are not matching and not WaA 77 are (actually all non matching parts are completely unmarked - some look scrubbed): Front and rear bands, and the back half of the bolt (pin, safety, striker, and bolt shroud).

The weird - the bolt confuses me. I hope someone has some experience with this. The bolt handle is marked 066. It is the last 3 of the rifle number, but the font is large. It also has the German bird with the swastika, and WaA 77. It doesn't look scrubbed at all, and it everything looks kosher. Also, the bend is different. It looks to me like it was a straight bolt that was bent. Is it possible this is a bolt meant for the wz.29 that was captured and bent at Steyr?

Here are the pics:

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
That looks like a correkt 1st variation post occupation build that someone has restocked. The recoil bar should be proofed as should the take down disks, is the butt plate numbered & proofed?
I think the bolt body is original to the rifle and was probably an unfinished one since it has no Polish proofs. No telling why the back of the bolt got switched out, but it was.
The Germany would indicate a 50s-60s import. In those days the importer did not have to put their name on the rifle, just Germany to indicate point of origin.
Nice rifle - want to sell it? I need that one. :rolleyes:
Sarge

·
Banned
7,240 Posts
I think the bolt numbers look "modern"!??

·
Registered
9,193 Posts
The bolt is renumbered, without a doubt. Looks like someone tried to bend down a Wz.29 bolt perhaps? Not correct. The barrelled action looks correct, as does the floorplate. In any event, not an easy rifle to find. Thanks for sharing the pics.
Regards,
HB

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
Nice piece, I seen on your other post that you looking for a WZ 29. I have a nice Radom 1938 if your interested in some kind of trade.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It is definately a restock. Buttplate is not numbered, no markings on the cross bolt, and the barrel channel has a different number. I wouldn't be supprised of its a restored sporter, thus the messed with barrel bands.

Sell or trade... not yet. She's kinda grown on me. I love the Polish and Nazi birds next to each other. Kinda like a WWII Ying-Yang. Even if I wanted to, I'm up in Canada, so a sell/trade would be almost impossible.

The bolt is puzzling. I know the font is way out to lunch, but what gets me is the Nazi bird is on the back, and it is WaA 77, seems like a lucky find when it comes to renumbering... but possible I suppose... the blueing on the bolt is nothing like the rest of the piece.

This is my 2nd K98, so I am still in novice land. Does anyone have a 29/40 with matching receiver/bolt or pics to share just for a comparison? I can't find any detailed pics of a 29/40 anywhere.

Thanks,

Stoggie

·
Registered
9,193 Posts
I'm sorry, but the bolt isn't a "lucky find" re numbering. Someone intentionally removed the old numbers and stamped the numbers on there to make it "match". This was done postwar, by bubba or Big Bob at the pawnshop or endcap at the gunshow, to make a "matching" bolt. The barrelled receiver and probably tg unit are correct, that's about it. It was probably a sporter with a mismatched bolt. The bolt renumber job is not even close to Steyr numbering. It was a very sophomoric renumbering job. Guys, keep track of this rifle and serial because if it sells it may turn up again at auction with another "matching" bolt and matching wood. Die stamps are available that are very close to Steyr font.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the input Hambone. I truely appreciate you sharing your expertise. I definately learn a ton from your feedback. I mean no disrespect when questioning the bolt, I'm just curious and eager to learn I suppose.

I have no desire to make this one "match" in any way shape or form. It is what it is and I'm happy to have it - and IMHO, I am happier to have this piece the way it is rather than a RC 29/40.

·
Registered
9,193 Posts
Hello Stoggie,
Never insinuated that you would renumber the bolt. This is a desireable rifle and they bring good money matching, in excess of $2k. If you ever sold it and it got into the stream of commerce, it may end up jacked, like this one:

http://www.gk43forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=160

Due to forum vigilance, and the wonder of the internet, we've been able to ID boinked rifles from what they previously looked like and/or were logged down as. Now that we know the serial on this rifle, if it ever comes up at auction or anywhere with a better renumbering job on the bands and bolt, we'll know. Again, not that you would do it, but who knows about your buyer, or his buyer, etc.
Regards,
HB

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hambone, I never took your statement that way. No worries.

By chance, do you have, or is there, a public listing of jacked rifles or "potential to be jacked" desireable rifles?

·
Registered
9,193 Posts
We catch them. Graf is the informational guru and database/info king. He's ID'd them. A bcd 45 I sold turned up several years later at auction with replaced parts, "capture papers" and a story. At least one sniper that originally sold as a regular ole rifle at auction turned up later with a scope and mount as an "original" high dollar piece. Others are simply known as being bad. The internet cuts both ways for hucksters. Bad news travels fast ;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts