Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question on bore dia. for a Finnish 28/76 that has barrel marked ASEV1 28/76 D166 . It chambers 7.62x54r rounds with out a problem. THE D166 indiates bore size of .311 dia. or not? Can anyone tell me ? I would like to use standard 7.x62x54r ammo and not have to hand load. THANKS.

·
Gold Bullet member
7,524 Posts
I have a question on bore dia. for a Finnish 28/76 that has barrel marked ASEV1 28/76 D166 . It chambers 7.62x54r rounds with out a problem. THE D166 indiates bore size of .311 dia. or not? Can anyone tell me ? I would like to use standard 7.x62x54r ammo and not have to hand load. THANKS.
The Lapua D166 bullet has a diameter of .310". Prvi Partizan ammo should work.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
If a round chambers easily, you should be fine. A "D" on the barrel shank indicates that the Finns opened-up the throat to fire Russian ammo.

As far as the bore diameter goes, they're all a bit different. Slugging your bore is the only way to know for sure.
There's lots of info on it, you can do a search. Or just ask here.

Phil

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
All my D166 ammo bullets measure .3095 .Both of my M28/76 rifles have .3095 bores so this is the bullet I use with excellent results.These rifles all have different bores however and you must slug to be sure

·
Gold Bullet member
4,947 Posts
All my D166 ammo bullets measure .3095 .Both of my M28/76 rifles have .3095 bores so this is the bullet I use with excellent results.These rifles all have different bores however and you must slug to be sure
Yupper you could have one you will have to hand load for and the only way to tell for sure is to slug the bore. Another reason why I did not want one. Bill

·
Copper Bullet member
184 Posts
The real issue on tight chambers is on the shoulder of the case, not the diameter of the bore. My rifle is marked withe D and slugs at .309 -- my rifle will not chamber any ammunition outside of Norma and lapua. When I try to chamber any other ammo the rifle will not go into battery and the brass gets stressed on its shoulder.

Long story made short -- there is a difference between Finnish 7.62x53R and Russian 7.62x54R. In the majority of battle rifles have loose enough chambers for that slight difference not to matter. In a precision, match grade target rifle, that minute difference may get you.

Since your rifle will chamber surplus ammo, you're good to go. Shoot away.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
If a round chambers easily, you should be fine. A "D" on the barrel shank indicates that the Finns opened-up the throat to fire Russian ammo.

Phil
The D indicates the throat was modified to shoot D166 bullets and ammo.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So,you can use russian .310 dia. ammo in a M39 or a 28/76 if it has the barrel stamped D116 ? It would seem ,
that the Finnish army would want anyone picking up a rifle to read the barrel markings and need not have to slug the bore to in sure that the rifle will work with the ammo he is supplied with on the firing line or in the heat of battle!

·
Diamond Bullet Member
9,098 Posts
Nobody originally shot old Russkie milsurp in a 28/76. They were precision match rifles using only high quality Finn ammo so the problem didn't arise back there.
So,you can use russian .310 dia. ammo in a M39 or a 28/76 if it has the barrel stamped D116 ? It would seem ,
that the Finnish army would want anyone picking up a rifle to read the barrel markings and need not have to slug the bore to in sure that the rifle will work with the ammo he is supplied with on the firing line or in the heat of battle!

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
The 28/76 target /match rifles that where imported in 2008 ,had a number of them clearly marked D116 on their barrels which indicates that they have a 7.62x54r chambers and a .310 dia. bore, not the Finnish 7.62x53r with a .308 dia. bore. If one has a 28/76 with a 28/30 original barrel it should be the short chamber 7.62x53r and have the .308 dia.bore. If it has a D on the barrel it indicates that the barrels chamber was reamed to lengthen it to handle the longer Russian ammo 7.62x54r ,but the bore is still the smaller .308 dia. THE Finnish did this so they could make use of the huge amount of Russian captured ammo during the Winter War etc. Using .310 ammo in a D chambered only rifle is not good for rifle or the person firing it! AS I understand it, a barrel marked with D has a 7.62x54r chamber the 116 means the bore has a .310 dia. as used in the M39 ''Ukko-Pekka' rifles and it was made that way, Therefore a 28/76 with a D116 barrel it is not original but a later replacement.

·
Site Contributor
1,260 Posts
The 28/76 target /match rifles that where imported in 2008 ,had a number of them clearly marked D116 on their barrels which indiates that they have a 7.62x54r chambers and a .310 dia. bore, not the Finnish 7.62x53r with a .308 dia. bore. If one has a 28/76 with a 28/30 orginal barrel it should be the short chamber 7.62x53r and have the .308 dia.bore. If it has a D on the barrel it indiates that the barrels chamber was reamed to lengthen it to handle the longer Russian ammo 7.62x54r ,but the bore is still the smaller .308 dia. THE Finnish did this so they could make use of the huge amount of Russian captured ammo during the Winter War etc. Using .310 ammo in a D chambered only rifle is not good for rifle or the person firing it! AS I understand it, a barrel marked with D has a 7.62x54r chamber the 116 means the bore has a .310 dia. as used in the M39 ''Ukko-Pekka' rifles and it was made that way, Therefore a 28/76 with a D116 barrel it is not orginal but a later replacement.
Well, that is partially correct. As noted already D-marking was introduced to indicate that the rifle had throat of the chamber reamed to facilitate use of (13-gram/200-grain) D166 bullets, which became standard issue bullet for 7.62 x 53R ammunition used by Finnish military starting year 1936. Hence when this happened the standard issue rifle being manufactured for Finnish Army was still M/27, and when M/39 "Ukko-Pekka" appeared later, much of the barrels used in them were not even marked with "D" anymore, since M/39 was designed for this bullet from the start. Hence "D" marking was originally intended mostly to mark the older rifle models than M/39 to indicate that they had gone through the modification. The fact that D-chamber allowed also Soviet manufactured ammunition loaded with 11.7-gram/180-grain bullets (intended by the Soviets mainly to machinegun use) to be chambered seems to have been basically a happy coincidence. Since standard issue Soviet 7.62 x 54R rifle cartridge remained to be material-wise updated version of 9.6-gram/148-grain, it would chamber basically in any of the Finnish rifles.

When M/28-76 got imported there was some discussion about the barrel markings. The theory that I came up then was that just comparing the markings it seems that the early production M/28-76 rifles seem to have M/28-30 barrels, while the late production seems to have what is essencially M/39 barrel. So basically it looks like that from some reason in some point during production of M/28-76 the decision concerning what kind of bullet these rifles should be build for changed. As far as I know, nobody has proven that this theory could not be valid.

No offense intended, but I am having hard time to understand why people are buying fine tuned target rifled like M/28-76 and then want to shoot them with the cheapest surplus ammunition that they can find. These rifles were not intended for that type of ammunition and that sort of ammunition simply will not allow the shooting accuracy for which these rifles were built for. IMO shooting cheap surplus in these rifles makes about as much sense as buying a new ferrari and then using home-made cocktail of kerosine, after-shave and diesel as its fuel. Not only is the typical surplus ammunition going to be anywhere as accurate as the ammunition these were intended, but surplus ammunition has often oversize bullets and are made from mild steel or iron, which is likely to be bad news for the barrel on the long run.

Jarkko

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
No offense taken at all, in fact, for the record when I purchased my 28/76 from B.P.W. Nov. 2012, IT came as I requested with the diopter rear sight,globe front sight, receiver mounted scope base, matching bolt , perfect stock,excellent bore and had the D-116 chamber and bore dia.for $550.00 shipped in a plastic hard case to my C/R .I wanted one but never had the $1000.00 TGI, Empire and others were asking for them four years ago. B.P.W. was easy to talk to and did ever thing possible to provide me the 28/76 that I wanted .I wanted the D-116 chamber and bore for a number of reasons . I can fire standard length 7.62x54r and the shorter Finnish 7.62x53r cases and not have to trim my brass to THE 7.62x53r 53.50 lenght from readily available 7.62x54r 53.72 that is lot of brass to remove.I will hand load with the correct dia. bullets to get the best accuracy AND for those guys who do not hand load and have to find and pay $2.50 to $3.00 a round for the Finnish commercial Lapua ammo, they must have very deep pockets indeed! YOU can run a 7.62x54r chambering reamer in the 7.62x53r chamber and lenghten the chamber to 7.62x54r,there by brass cases for the 7.62x54r will work! Slug the bore and load bullets to match the bore of your rifle . Check the American made 7.62x54 ammo and see if they use .308 dia. bullets if they do you could use them .There are a number of posts in this Forum that complained that TGI did not know that there was a difference in the chambers in their import of 28/76 rifles and they had to return them and request a exchange for one that has a D chamber.I have not used Russian or any other military ammo that is loaded with corrosive primers in the 45 years I have been collecting fire arms ,it is a very sloppy time consuming process to clean the various parts of firearms correctly to remove the salt, which will in the end ,will cause dammage to the blueing, and the wooden stocks no matter how careful you are or you think you are, you are doing damage ,and it is accumulative!I only use current non corrosive brass case boxer primed ammo to protect my investment etc. and there are a number of Russian manufacturers that offer boxer primed brass cased non corrosive 7.62x54r as well.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Hi,

I have had a couple of the 28-76's and they all were .308 by .30 bore. All of them would NOT chamber with surplus Russian 7.62x54, they all needed the shoulder set back with my sizing die to chamber. I believe the D-166 is for the chamber to be cut to fit the longer 200 gr bullet that Jarkko mentions. But with the chamber cut to fit the longer bullet, it increases the length of the chamber to allow for the Russian surplus the chamber.

You can probably have no problem shooting 7.62x54 surplus, but in the long run yo will have a lot more barrel wear, and they are not making barrels for these fine rifles anymore.

Enjoy,
Steve

·
Registered
130 Posts
I have the m28/76 that is marked as ASEV1 1977 the 54r round chambers fine in it ,I read somewhere that the barrel on my was made new for this rifle not a 28/30 barrel or the D166 is that true.

·
Diamond Bullet Member
1,523 Posts
No offense intended, but I am having hard time to understand why people are buying fine tuned target rifled like M/28-76 and then want to shoot them with the cheapest surplus ammunition that they can find. These rifles were not intended for that type of ammunition and that sort of ammunition simply will not allow the shooting accuracy for which these rifles were built for. IMO shooting cheap surplus in these rifles makes about as much sense as buying a new ferrari and then using home-made cocktail of kerosine, after-shave and diesel as its fuel. Not only is the typical surplus ammunition going to be anywhere as accurate as the ammunition these were intended, but surplus ammunition has often oversize bullets and are made from mild steel or iron, which is likely to be bad news for the barrel on the long run.
Jarkko
I have a 308 bore M28/76 and I am VERY happy to BE ABLE to handload 308 bullets in Lapua brass for this rifle! With 308 bore I have a lot of good choices for bullets! I wouldn't even think of shooting a round of oversize corrosive surplus in it, and like you I don't understand why anyone would want to do that to a marksmanship rifle. With the diopter sights and Finn-massaged M27 trigger it is a big pleasure to shoot!

Les

·
Premium Member
2,836 Posts
I worked for the company that imported these fine rifles.D116 is 54R and a 310 bore,the 53r is a .308 bore,however you should slug your rifle'
I like these fine rifles thou many were rough when we got them
BPW had a great price.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts