Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These Czech Flare lauchers look evil....would be nice to put some various 12ga loads thru them too.

Didn't they have 37mm to 12ga adapters? I guess one of them could be turned down to fit the 26.5mm chamber/barrel.

Attachments

·
Diamond Bullet Member/Moderator
56,652 Posts
To answer my own question: Yes, they make them for short Marine Flares only;;; http://www.hi-vel.com/Catalog__24/26_5___37mm_Products/26_5___37mm_products.html

Seems like shooting shotgun shells in a flare gun (non firearm) is illegal. Bummer!
If the barrel is over 18 inches it shouldn't be (and if you follow all other regs about mfg a firearm, which I believe these meet). The reason they aren't legal in a pistol flaregun is because you can't make a legal short barrel smoothbore without the proper stamps and approvals beforehand. There was a registered czech flaregun converted to fire shotgun shells at the KCR shoot one year. I have no idea of the guage (some reason I was thinking it was .410 or 20 ga) nor what it took to get the approvals but I doubt was any tougher then registering anyother SBR type weapon. Personally while the locking mechanism looks stronger then a pistol's I wouldn't want to risk it with a 12ga in there as all the adapters I've seen are either plastic or aluminum.

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
CFS has them listed at $299, call Jayne or Pam and tell them you are a GB member. I bought 2 and they gave me a pretty good deal on them.
I didn't get a "deal" but it is a pretty neat piece. Looking at the Czech wholesale broker web site the Flare carbines are 246 Euros each.....Centerfire must have gotten a "Deal" as well!!!!!

My thought on the "legal" thing is you "Mfg" a firearm by putting the adapater and flare carbine together. If you went trough the drill with ATF and serial # the rig etc.... It would then be a "firearm" and legitimate.

The aluminum does not scare me too much in any shotgun adapter.. Briley has been selling thin aluminum guage adapters for decades.

Is the barrel on these things 18"?

·
Diamond Bullet Member
1,774 Posts
Of course, those aren't really flare guns, but are tear-gas launchers used for crowd control. The gas canisters are the same size as standard flares, but they were not used for launching flares (after all, why bother with such a cumbersome launcher when a pistol would do just fine).

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
i have an 37mm to 26.5 and a 26.5 to 12 guage adapter, both are aluminum but it is only for marine flares because of the shorter chamber

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I wouldn't risk putting actual 12 ga. rounds through this, stuff like 00 Buck might put stress on the locking mechanism that wasn't designed for it.

a 12 ga. adaptor and some smoke rounds would be way cool though.
The laucher was built to fire a pretty HEAVY tear gas round (grenade)....I think the locking mechanism is pretty stout. M79 Launchers were not stressed by their Buckshot loads.

For SMOKE you can buy the 26.5mm military smoke rounds and they trump anything a 12ga adapter could fire.

Maybe no good way to shoot shotgun ammo from this Curio....but it does make a neat flare carbine. HECK, every Monster/Alien/Zombie/Psyco Killer movie has one "flare gun Kill" in it! Bring on the EVIL, I am ready for some long range kills!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.