Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Silver Bullet Member
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Being in the market for a 24/47 I have been watching them on Gunbroker for a bit. Some have the bolt in the white, for others, the bolt is blue. Is one or the other "correct", or during various times in the refurbishing history did Kragujavac use different processes?

·
Registered
710 Posts
Both mine are in the white. Checked some period photos but I can't tell for sure.

One thing tho, they are a great shooter, used'm a lot when 8mm milsurp was really cheap. Would go all day and still stay accurate regardless how hot the barrels got.

·
Registered
945 Posts
The original Yugo model 1924's had in-the-white bolts. When they were re-furbed to model 24/47 status in the late 1940's, some were left in-the-white, and many were blued.

·
Gold Bullet member
4,794 Posts
Both of mine are in-the-white and I agree with sailor, great shooters.

·
Platinum Bullet member
20,289 Posts
Watch out for one that has been refurbed with a new barrel installed. Several of mine had this problem and it took several hundred rounds thru them before they would group properly.

Looks like maybe mine were unissued 24 actions with barrels shortened. One was actually fitted into a rough shaped and unfinished stock - rough shaped to fit, dipped in stain & assembled without any final finishing. It now looks like right outta the box new.

·
Registered
114 Posts
All of the 24/47s I have seen have had bolts in the white, although someone else said that they blued some. I just looked and saw exactly one rifle that is likely the one you speak of. Although it's not a bad looking rifle, it almost looks like a cold blue job but that could just be patina.

As cheap as these things are, I'd just order one from Classic Arms or somewhere similar and be done with it. Clean up is fun, plus theres the unknown as to what you are going to get which is not a bad thing in this case because all of these are in great condition and typically all matching with mirror bores etc. Just know that it is the norm for the handguards to be mismatched on these so that should not surprise you.

Let us know what you decide and take pictures!

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
"in the white" is "correct." But, and Branko verified this in his book, some refurb shops did blue some.

as for the new barrels, they're not a "problem." What more could you ask for? A true milsurp with a spanking brand new bore! But you're right in that they do take a little breaking in, about 200 rounds.

·
Platinum Bullet member
20,289 Posts
The new barrels definitely WERE a problem - but only in the humorous sense:D

·
Copper Bullet member
696 Posts
My 24/47's bolt is in the white. It also has a new barrell that took 100 or more rounds to break it in. Now it's one of my most accurate milsurps and has raised the eyebrows of more than one non milsurp shooters in our club.

·
Silver Bullet member
566 Posts
I also bought a couple of these a few years ago. Both had bolts in the white. I did clean up about 6 of them this summer for my dealer friend and two had blued bolts. So I guess you could say both are correct as far as refurbed rifles go.

All of the ones I have personally seen had excellent bores. Of the two that I own , I have shot one which is an excellent shooter. The other has an elm stock which is new and an excellent mirror bore which will probably shoot great - I just haven't gotten around to it yet.

I think these are probably the best deal going right now - the prices are about the same as they were 4 years ago. Exterior condition is probably a little less, but they are great shooters for the money.

·
Silver Bullet Member
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
craig61a
Did you get yours from Samco? I think that Samco and Aim are the only two that have them right now, and Aim says to "not expect perfect bores" - sounds like most of theirs were not re-barreled. Someone has one on for sale on this forum, but at $180, a little steep, perhaps, although it looks very nice, and the handguard matches the butt stock.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Short Chambered 24/47

The new barrels definitely WERE a problem - but only in the humorous sense:D
HI,
I'm new here and was refered by RU Shooter from over on the Cast Boolits board. Looks like I sure found the right place for answers to Military rifle questions. I have a question about a 24/47 I bought. It sure looks like a nice rifle but have one concern. At first I thought I didn't get all the cosmoline out of the chamber but seems like I did. I scrubbed with Ed's Red and Kroil until it was squeeky-Kleen. Now my problem is that the chamber seems a bit short. I can chamber a load in it but the bolt closes down real tight and the cases come out shorter. I am using RCBS Dies and Lee Dies to compare against and see no difference in sizing length with those. My other 8mm is a Turk and it's a real cast bullet shooter's dream. Has anyone else run into their barrel being short chambered?

·
Platinum Bullet member
20,289 Posts
HI,
I'm new here and was refered by RU Shooter from over on the Cast Boolits board. Looks like I sure found the right place for answers to Military rifle questions. I have a question about a 24/47 I bought. It sure looks like a nice rifle but have one concern. At first I thought I didn't get all the cosmoline out of the chamber but seems like I did. I scrubbed with Ed's Red and Kroil until it was squeeky-Kleen. Now my problem is that the chamber seems a bit short. I can chamber a load in it but the bolt closes down real tight and the cases come out shorter. I am using RCBS Dies and Lee Dies to compare against and see no difference in sizing length with those. My other 8mm is a Turk and it's a real cast bullet shooter's dream. Has anyone else run into their barrel being short chambered?
You may want to acquire a handful of 8mm milsurp ammo - anything from Turkish to Romanian should suffice. Try chambering the milsurp ammo, being sure to load it into the magazine and let the boltface feed it into position with the extractor & chamber.

Afterward, if it works, put a new battery into your digital calipers and spend the night measuring & comparing.

If chambering is still a problem, scrub out the chamber with a strip of green 3M woodworking pad dipped into WD-40 or carb cleaner. If that doesn't work, you may have a piece of case neck stuck in your chamber. Run a .45 brush up into the bore from the chamber end, and then yank it out. The oversized diameter brush forced into the bore will cause the bristles to be backwards facing & work great to extract any case fragments that get stuck.

·
Silver Bullet member
566 Posts
craig61a
Did you get yours from Samco? I think that Samco and Aim are the only two that have them right now, and Aim says to "not expect perfect bores" - sounds like most of theirs were not re-barreled. Someone has one on for sale on this forum, but at $180, a little steep, perhaps, although it looks very nice, and the handguard matches the butt stock.
No, I got mine from AIM about 4 years ago. The ones I cleaned for my dealer came from SOG earlier this summer - I think they were 3fers. I'd try Samco or Classic Arms if they still have them in stock. Classic Arms seems to be a good bet - I haven't bought anything from them, but I've heard nothing but rave reviews on this board from people who have bought from them.

·
Silver Bullet member
566 Posts
HI,
Without a lot of other information to go on, it may indeed be short chambered. While not likely, it may have been that way when manufactured. Does it appear to have been rebarreled? If so it may have been set back a little too far. Best bet - take it to a gunsmith and have them look at it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts