Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need some help from the experts. Looking at the lower right of the M.24/47 there appears to be another stamping, partially obscured by the 24/47. Thoughts? Btw the way is there a photographic database on the web that shows correct type sets for various mausers? Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
I'm no "expert" by any means but believe I can help.

That's no 'funny business' at all. The model 24/47 is a refurbished model 1924. Part of the refurbishment program involved scrubbing original manufacture markings. Sometimes, they didn't quite eradicate those markings completely leaving visible traces of those. That's what you're seeing there. Pre Nazi occupation marking from original manufacture. The trace I can make out in the picture would have been the Cyrillic for "Kingdom of Yugoslavia" stamping used from 1930-41.

As for a font database, there's no such thing that I know of though admittedly would be a wonderful thing. Unfortunately, I have concentrated my primary research on other particulars. Fortunately, some others have paid particular interest to that aspect of these rifles and maybe might take the hint?

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Nuthernug is right on. A lot of the 24/47s if not all ( I'm leaning towards all )are parts guns.
Umm no, not that. That's how the Russians did things but not the Yugos. To much wasted effort. The Yugos surveyed each weapon only replacing or repairing as needed. Wepons beyond practical repair were stripped for parts. But rendering everything to the parts bins just to build parts guns, no.

·
Silver Bullet member
8,002 Posts
Just some faked bent bolts so far ; )

·
Diamond Bullet Member
1,196 Posts
Yep...got one of those.:)
It was cheap though, with decent wood and bore.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I don't know if this helps but, I posted some pics of my 24/47 in the Yugo Crest Survey a while ago. If you look closely at my last picture you can see the remnants of the original markings ahead of the M.24/47 stamp. As far as I can tell the font is the same as yours. Perhaps the same guy scrubbed yours and mine. ;-)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts