Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am just getting into reloading and have been checking online for all the info I can get. I have Speer #14 for now and plan on getting a few more.

My question is this...how much different are loads for the 45 cal 230 grain FMJ bullets regardless of manufacturer? Would a load listed in my Speer manual be the same for any bullet of the same weight and type?

·
Gold Bullet member
1,234 Posts
Yes If they were standard pressure loads, They may not be the exact same as Manual a,b. or c but they will be close ,If They were +P type loads that some manuals list I would use caution and work the load up as always if the componets were different than listed.

Tim

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's kinda what I figured...can't be much difference in 230 grain FMJ bullets. I don't think I'm up to +P loads yet and I am too cheap to reload any hollow points. I am going to stick with what is in the manuals.

·
Registered
268 Posts
The worst thing about reloading the 45 acp is the case is so big in comparison to the amount of powder it holds it can be double charged . Meaning it is possible to actually put twice the amount of powder (accidental fill it twice) in the case and not notice .

·
Registered
126 Posts
The worst thing about reloading the 45 acp is the case is so big in comparison to the amount of powder it holds it can be double charged . Meaning it is possible to actually put twice the amount of powder (accidental fill it twice) in the case and not notice .

I have gotten into the habit as soon as I but the powder in the case I place the bullet into the case. A little extra step, but I have not (so far) double charged a round.

JMO

·
PlatinumBullet Member
19,948 Posts
I have gotten into the habit as soon as I but the powder in the case I place the bullet into the case. A little extra step, but I have not (so far) double charged a round.

JMO
Extra little steps like that can make a large difference between some huge mistake.;)

·
Registered
260 Posts
If you pick a fairly high volume powder, a double charge won't fit or will run over the edge of the case making it obvious that you made a misstake before you press the bullet in. Aliant Green Dot powder is a good starter powder that works very well in 45 ACP. It has a fast burn rate which is good for short cartrige/short barrel situations, and if you double it you'll never get the bullet in the case.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I usually look in every case after I charge a tray of 50. If you double charge a case.......you will know it, with just about any powder. green dot, blue dot, red dot, unique, and bullseye, are all good powders to use. looks like blue dot will give you the most powder by volume of the ones listed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts