Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Moderator/Gold Bullet member
8,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought 1,100 rnds of 36 grain Remington 'Golden Bullet' at WalMart and noticed that the bullets can be made to twist while remaining seated in the case. They don't pop out and appear otherwise stable. I haven't seen this with any other .22 ammo I use. Is this normal/expected?
Thanks-
Poot

·
Registered
39 Posts
Just bought 1,100 rnds of 36 grain Remington 'Golden Bullet' at WalMart and noticed that the bullets can be made to twist while remaining seated in the case. They don't pop out and appear otherwise stable. I haven't seen this with any other .22 ammo I use. Is this normal/expected?
Thanks-
Poot
I noticed this awhile back on a box I purchased. I seem to get a lot more ftf / fte in my 10/22 with this stuff. To be fair to both gun and ammo, it is still in the 'break in" phase.

·
Registered
718 Posts
I've seen this over time with various .22's. Never really thought it was a problem.
Some ammo is extra greasey. I'm not familiar with Golden Bullets, but Wildcats always required frequent cleaning to get the soot out. This may be a factor in the ftf problem.

·
Silver Bullet member
4,753 Posts
It is not that unusual; I've noted the phenomenon going back to the 1960s. Some will let you spin the slug, others are too tight. If you can spin the slug in the case, I wouldn't count on it to be weatherproof, would you?

·
8,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It is not that unusual; I've noted the phenomenon going back to the 1960s. Some will let you spin the slug, others are too tight. If you can spin the slug in the case, I wouldn't count on it to be weatherproof, would you?

Nope, but these will stay in the barn, out of the elements.
Poot

·
Silver Bullet member
4,753 Posts
No worries then! Some of the stuff I was playing with in the 60s had been left in a cupboard since the 30s, and it all went bang. I learned to shoot on ammo that had been put by decades before. I figure I'm doing someone else a favor when I stockpile ammo - maybe someone who hasn't been born yet!

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
i got a carton of these first of the summer , noticed that as well , but ive also had a few with the bullet bent in the case - noticebly so and not very useable , ive straightened a couple and shot them from my revolver but there were a few that were unusable

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I like the Golden Bullet because of its price as well as its accuracy (pretty danged tight-shooting in my rifle) but for hunting, I prefer the CCI stingers. They're very accurate from my rifle, have a lot of "zip" and are tight enough that I'm not too worried if I drop one in some dewy grass. I just wipe it off and put it back in the magazine or ammo pouch.

·
Registered
363 Posts
A Square 10,
I also had quite a few with the bullet bent in the case, and more than several FTF. This was in different guns that fired other make ammo with no problem. After noticing the bent cartridges in the carton I held several bridged on my first two fingers and pressed lightly between with my thumb....very little resistance to bending. This could really play havoc in a .22 auto. I won't buy anymore Remington .22LR ammo of the poor manufacture. I've always liked their Core-Lokt ammo in centerfire, but even there I believe Federal may have the edge.

·
Registered
192 Posts
No Problem

I have been shooting for 35 years and 99% of the 22 ammo I have shot went bang. Bullet spin or not. Right now I am shooting some Remington 36 grain solids in the Red and white box that my grandpa bought from Sears in 1970.

·
Ask me about my 390 lbs mother in law.
1,005 Posts
Check out the current price of Grandpa's ammo you are blasting with. The antique prices would let you buy a few thousand rounds of the new stuff for one box of the old stuff you are shooting. Just my .02

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
pappa , that has been my experience with these as well , wont run my ceinar converted M16 well and my histandard sportking fte about 1 out of 10 not using these in anything except the single shot cooey and my H&R revolver anymore ,
i shoot only the federals in my brit trainers - they seem to prefer them ,

that old ammo in original boxes do seem to be bringing a higher price these days

·
Registered
59 Posts
I wouldn't shoot Remingtons in my worst enemy's gun. A few years ago I had 4 problems in a row with Remington ammo. I bought 3 bricks of the .22's and had more than 1 in each box (that's more than 10 in a brick) that had no powder or primer in the cases. I had centerfire rounds that had the cases spilt after firing. I had sealed boxes with rounds missing. The 4th time I refused the replacement and demanded my $ back.

Try Federal's valu pack at Wal-Mart. They are high velocity and you get 550 in a brick for $9.99. They are better than CCI and Winchester as far as accuracy and consistency. I tried them a few months ago and stocked up with 4 more bricks.

·
8,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I wouldn't shoot Remingtons in my worst enemy's gun. A few years ago I had 4 problems in a row with Remington ammo. I bought 3 bricks of the .22's and had more than 1 in each box (that's more than 10 in a brick) that had no powder or primer in the cases. I had centerfire rounds that had the cases spilt after firing. I had sealed boxes with rounds missing. The 4th time I refused the replacement and demanded my $ back.

Try Federal's valu pack at Wal-Mart. They are high velocity and you get 550 in a brick for $9.99. They are better than CCI and Winchester as far as accuracy and consistency. I tried them a few months ago and stocked up with 4 more bricks.

Very opportune. Since initiating this thread, I tried WalMart's Federal .22 ammo and found it much more to my liking. It's also cheaper by $2 a box, and is VERY accurate out of my Mossberg 151K. I am now thinking of buying this stuff (the Federal) exclusively, and just plinking with the Remington.

Poot

·
Registered
431 Posts

I've recently picked up a couple of .22's and have been trying out several different types and manufacturers to see what they like. The Remington brand seem to have more FTF's than the others I have tried. It's been pretty disappointing.
So far the CCI brand seems to be the most consistant but not the most accurate but pretty darn good. They rate near the top of the list so far.
Pat

·
Registered
591 Posts
Federal bulk pack

+1

Very reliable and repeatable in my Remingtion 597

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Federal Bulk pack +1 also!

I bought a box of the Rem. bulk ammo about six months ago. I gave them away - poor loading in semi-autos, fail to fire and crappy accuracy.

I bought 6 boxs of federal bulk at $9.60 a box. The price has gone up in this area to $12.40 + tax

Best to all,
point6

·
Registered
10,445 Posts
Never had a single issue with the Remington Goldens. The regular Remingtons though, lots of misfires and double strikes.

·
Gold Bullet member
4,426 Posts
I've had lousy luck with the Golden Bullet bulk packs, they seem to misfire a lot more often and are more unevenly loaded than other stuff I shoot.

Which is kinda strange, since the Remington Thunderbolt and Cyclone rounds are probably the best ammo I've ever tried in my Erma EM1 carbine.

·
Registered
10,445 Posts
Aha! "Thunderbolts", thats the stuff that gave me problems. Couldn't remember that name the other day.:eek:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts