Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I figured I'd share a pic of my nhm 90 223. When i bought it it was in thumbhole configuration with an underfolder receiver (underfolder holes had plugs). And yes it does have 6 US compliance parts. :)
Here she is before:

And here she is after:

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
nice! do the bulgy mags work alright in the rifle?
they work flawlessly. I almost enjoy using the bulgy mags better than the original chinese.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've shot it - but it has been off hand, not from the bench or a rest. It shoots where I aim it though. Maybe one of my next range trips I can test it for how it does on paper. Plus I can compare it to my SAR-3. :D

here is a pic of my lowly SAR-3 ;)

·
Registered
20 Posts
.223 NHM-90 Looks Awesome!

I have one of the .223 NHM-90's, identical to your first picture. I was hesitant to grind off that lug that they use for attaching the Thumbhole Stock, but now that I see what's possible, well, where's the toolbox?
Did you use a Chinese underfolding stock assy.? I was wondering if the Polish or Bulgarian types would fit successfully? They are a bit stronger than the original Chinese.
Anything I should know about the plugs in the underfolder mounting holes? Or tips on removing them?
Also, how did you get the "thing" off of the end of the barrel? Mine looks like they tac-welded the "brake", or whatever it was supposed to be, onto the front sight post. What procedure did you use to get that thing off?
Thanks for any tips! I'll post pics of mine when I get finished. Thanks for your reply!
Regards, firstchoice

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have one of the .223 NHM-90's, identical to your first picture. I was hesitant to grind off that lug that they use for attaching the Thumbhole Stock, but now that I see what's possible, well, where's the toolbox?
Did you use a Chinese underfolding stock assy.? I was wondering if the Polish or Bulgarian types would fit successfully? They are a bit stronger than the original Chinese.
Anything I should know about the plugs in the underfolder mounting holes? Or tips on removing them?
Also, how did you get the "thing" off of the end of the barrel? Mine looks like they tac-welded the "brake", or whatever it was supposed to be, onto the front sight post. What procedure did you use to get that thing off?
Thanks for any tips! I'll post pics of mine when I get finished. Thanks for your reply!
Regards, firstchoice
Well, Let's see where to start. :)
I used a cutoff wheel on my dremel to cut through the tang that was welded on for the thumbhole stock. I then used a file and a sander to get it the rest of the way. As for piece on the muzzle there were two or three tac welds. I used a cutoff wheel to lightly touch them so they were "broke" through. I then used a pair of pliers to start unscrewing it, then unscrewed the rest by hand. luckily the detent pin and spring were still fine and working. I lightly smoothed out the areas on the front site base where the welds were. For the areas that were bare metal I used blue wonder and it made for a nice close match for finish.

As for the plugs, I field stripped the rifle and using a dremel with a small cutting wheel (one that was already wore down quite a bit) I carefully went in and cut through the rivet holding it. As I couldn't get it through the rest of the way with just the cutoff wheel, I finished with a pair of small bolt cutters (that cut up to a 1/4" bolt). Once it is cut all the way through, the plugs just fall out.

I bought the chinese underfolder assembly from a member at gunco (it was a good price IMHO). I've heard the Bulgarian underfolders will work - but haven't tried one.
If any other questions, let me know.

Looking forward to the pics of yours when you get it done.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Here's your next step. Very easily done, using EG or Bulgy AK47 parts.

Thanks for the idea. I'm actually holding out to use chinese parts on it. of course it would probably already be done if I was actively looking for the parts. LOL :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts