Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
703 Posts
Should be, if your rifle is otherwise in good condition. The original round for the 1903 was the .30-03, with the same 220 grain bullet used in the Krag. In the .30-06, the 220 grainer can be pushed to higher velocities than in the Krag, but you might find them uncomfortable to shoot.

PRD1 - mhb - MIle

·
Registered
19,281 Posts
No and No. Sure you can do it but its not the issue ammunition for that rifle and you will damage the internal bedding of the original stock on the rifle. A box of proper 150 gr bullets is but 30 dollars at best ...far cheaper than replacing a wood butt stock. So the answer is Yes you can but its dumb as dirt to do so.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Just how would it damage the rifle ? You are saying a Rem 700 or Win 70 in 30/06 can only shoot one weight of bullet also ? A 1903 is not as strong ? How about my 1905 1903 rifle that was made in 30/03 ? But wait it was converted to 30/06 . So what bullet can it use ? What about all the US 174 grain ammo ? I have shot anything from 100 grains to 220 grains in many different 03 rifles and never damaged anything .

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Dumb as dirt eh? To shoot a .30 cal bullet in a .30 cal rifle?
Powder charge not necessarily bullet weight is what might cause harsh recoil. But still even a proper loaded round will not damage a good condition rifle and stock. Especially bolt action military rifles. We’re not talking M1’s and gas operated recoil etc.
Sorry milprileb I usually agree with you, but this warning is completely unwarranted.
I’ve shot plenty of 220 gr SP Sierra in my 1903 made in ‘29. Loaded to a middle of the road power. Lyman published data.
Accuracy is good. Recoil feels like a 30/06 rifle. OP you are fine to shoot these bullets in a M1903.

·
Registered
703 Posts
No and No. Sure you can do it but its not the issue ammunition for that rifle and you will damage the internal bedding of the original stock on the rifle. A box of proper 150 gr bullets is but 30 dollars at best ...far cheaper than replacing a wood butt stock. So the answer is Yes you can but its dumb as dirt to do so.
Strongly disagree. The original Model 1903 rifles fired the 220 grain bullet with proper load without problems, and they did not even have a single stock bolt. There is no reason why such loads would cause damage to an otherwise sound Model 1903. See 148Infantry's comments, above.

PRD1 - mhb - MIke

·
Moderator / Silver Bullet member
7,653 Posts
It is ok he is the only shooter here who shoots 'correctly', still waiting for his videos to show us how to shoot properly and correctly.
Let's see how it is done.

Patrick

·
Registered
703 Posts
Getting back to the original question: The original .30-03 load was the 220 grain bullet at 2300 fps; this load was found to be too hard on the barrel, due to excessive erosion from the double-based Whistler-Aspinwall powder then standard, and was lowered to 2200 fps until replaced by the .30-06 150 grain spitzer at a nominal 2700 fps. Commercial ammunition with the 220 grain bullet is loaded to ca. 2400 fps, and I have never heard of any warnings of potential stock damage to any rifle from their use. None of these loads fall into the 'powder puff ' range, and none are excessive for the Model 1903 or its variants - neither do any of them produce excessive recoil.

PRD1 - mhb - MIke

1 - 12 of 12 Posts