Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sometime or another I bought a sealed bag of about 40 handloads at a gun show. The bag was marked .308 ammo. "Well" when I got I found out they were 220 Swift that someone had loaded up with .308 bullets and all 40 case necks had split! At least I got the .308 bullets out of the deal. Pulled the bullets and saved the powder. The power is the finest powder I've ever seen. (I haven't seen that many powders.) Now being the tight wad that I am I have 2.65 ounces of powder that I just can't seem to throw away. Is there anyway to identify a powder? It is a finer grain than the size of a fine grain of sand.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Short answer - no. fertilize grass, or play with fire. Not enough to work up load for anything, Given the origin of the ammo I would just dump it.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
I'd identify it as an accident waiting to happen. (AAWTH) The list is long of fellas using stuff like this and wishing they hadn't. Don't be that guy, just toss it out in the yard and walk away already.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Already new the answer and is good advice. Will it really make my grass grow? LoL

·
Platinum Bullet Member
53,913 Posts
put it in a cat food or tuna can, and toss a match in it,

outside, away from flammables, of course

·
Registered
18,246 Posts
Shortest answer yet: LX ......being the tightwad you claim to be, its cheaper to toss that powder than pay the hospital bills.

·
Registered
926 Posts
You would literally have to be insane to risk re-using that quantity of powder. Even at today's inflated prices, that's maybe three bucks worth of powder. You'd be willing to risk a gun or injury to save a few dollar's worth of powder?

If you want to get some amusement value out of it, pour it out onto the sidewalk and light it up. That should be worth at least a dollar or two in entertainment.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think there are a couple of fire ant hills that need a little payback.

·
Gold Bullet member
1,095 Posts
My brother put about a half a pound of IMR 4064 in a coffee can and tossed a cigarette in it but he did it on his back covered porch. The can directed it straight up about 12 feet but the ceiling of his porch was only 8 feet. It didn’t burn it down but Scorched and bubbled the paint and he had to sand it and repaint it all. It was Fourth of July weekend barbecue so all the family and neighbors got to watch him freak out and panic and run around like an ass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
362 Posts
Unknown powder is really great for making "fire" ants! Poke a hole in the mount, fill with powder, light.

·
Registered
22,943 Posts
Never, EVER, reuse an unknown powder for reloading! 'Nuf said!

Reactions: Shadow64

·
Registered
281 Posts
My brother put about a half a pound of IMR 4064 in a coffee can and tossed a cigarette in it but he did it on his back covered porch. The can directed it straight up about 12 feet but the ceiling of his porch was only 8 feet. It didn’t burn it down but Scorched and bubbled the paint and he had to sand it and repaint it all. It was Fourth of July weekend barbecue so all the family and neighbors got to watch him freak out and panic and run around like an ass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

·
Registered
854 Posts
Were they loaded pointy side down?
Seriously though, how on earth could you ever jam a .308 bullet into a .22 neck even if it was point down or an extreme boat tail? And don't you think he would have realized something was wrong? Must have been an attempt at a wildcat??

·
Registered
18,246 Posts
Sometimes, I read things on Reloading forum and wonder if there is a life guard on the gene pool. I think he went on break in 1942 and never came back.

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
Not that it's needed but burn it (Not on the deck, please!) or use as lawn food or whatever, just don't reload with it.

As for the fellow that scorched his porch ceiling, he got off lucky.
Got detailed one time to dispose of unused artillery powder bags.
The lieutenant in charge miscalculated (on several fronts, actually) and scorched the paint off of several trucks, damn near cooked a few troopers and caused a fireball big enough to shut down the artillery ranges for an hour or two.
After that a$$ chewing I doubt it ever grew back.
His chance at promotion went up with that fireball.

His first miscalculation was in how big the fireball was going to get from that much powder, the second was in not listening to the sergeants that tried to tell him so, the third was in trying to "cover it up" rather than admit to the first two.
I never saw him again, I hope he enjoyed his posting to whatever hell hole they found for him.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Forgot to mention, the first mistake in this debacle was buying reloads at a gun show. You went full reload. Never go full reload!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts