Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a .22 H&R Reising Mod. 65 military looking rifle, .22 long rifle only with adjustible rear peep sight, serial no.l8207. Anybody know anything about this rifle?

·
Registered
718 Posts
These were made to specs of the Garand. They aren't hard to find, but they weren't made in huge numbers. Guys that have one for sale think they are worth a grand. Those who want one think they are (sometimes) worth half that, usually less. They are good shooters with adjustable triggers. If yours is marked as USMC property, you are a lot closer to the Grand. They were made from 1944-46.
Specific questions?

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
These were made to specs of the Garand. They aren't hard to find, but they weren't made in huge numbers. Guys that have one for sale think they are worth a grand. Those who want one think they are (sometimes) worth half that, usually less. They are good shooters with adjustable triggers. If yours is marked as USMC property, you are a lot closer to the Grand. They were made from 1944-46.
Specific questions?
Would like to see some pics of one nice example. TIA.

·
Gold Bullet Member/Moderator/Administrator/
27,180 Posts
Cass

Speak to Cass. he has the scoop on these. They were a WWII Marine Corps training rifle. They were not marked US in any way. The front sight mimics the M-1 sight. The later version MC-58 has a safety which also mimics the M-1 style safety. CMP auctioned off a number of these, NIB, and went from $1,100 to $2,000 each, I've seen numerous -65's at shows for around $300-$400 range. I paid $50.00 for mine, no sight, and need an un-Bubba-ed stock, if you know anyone that has one. (not an MC-58 stock).
hth

·
Platinum Bullet Member
972 Posts
Nice pictures, DOCLOVE.

limpetmine described them well. Horeseshirt, if that is an 18,000 serial number it may be one of the ones sold commercially during or after WWII. The conventional story in most of the books is that the first 6,000 were sold to the USMC, then later ones were commercail. As you can see below, I think there were more that were military purchases.

The H&R Mod 65's were marketed as "The General" during WWII. Here is a scan of a magazine ad from 1944. Note the "BUY BONDS!" in the lower right.

I have never seen a rifle marked "General" either in person or in a picture, so I don't believe that the rifles were marked with that name (unlike the later "Leatherneck" Mod 165's that were marked). I've also observed a lot of Mod 65 rifles with serial numbers above 6,000. All I have seen were parkerized, even one that I have in the 17,000 range.

I personally think that there were additional military purchases above 6,000 since the ones I have observed in the 6,000 through 10,000 range look identical in every way including internal parts. Some of the ones above 11,000 have some differences from the lower number rifles, including some thinner stocks and stocks without crossbolts.

Notice in the ad that the stock looks shorter and thinner proportionally than the stock on a typical Mod 65.

The later MC-58's duplicated the serial number range from 6,000 through about 9,500. I've been collecting MC-58 serial numbers and data and have found examples throughout that serial number range with 2 different marking types.

Here is a link to the Gunboards smallbore forum with some info and pictures on the later MC-58:

http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?t=7303

Cass

1 - 9 of 9 Posts