Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering why the second cylinder for a 22 is necessary when wouldn’t the cylinder for the 22 mag work for both?

·
Silver Bullet member
5,345 Posts
The .22 WMR uses a larger case than the .22 Long Rifle (LR), both in diameter and length. The .22 WMR case is a lengthened version of the older .22WRF. In the most common modern loadings, the combination of more powder and higher sustained pressures gives velocities of 1,875 feet per second (572 m/s) from a rifle using a 40-grain (2.6 g) bullet, and 1,500 feet per second (460 m/s) from a handgun. Because of its larger size, a .22 WMR round will not fit into the chamber of a .22 LR firearm. It is dangerous to chamber .22 LR rounds in a .22 WMR firearm. Doing so can result in injury from high pressure hot gas leaking around the LR round, which is too small for a .22 WMR chamber or cylinder. That's why several makers of revolvers supply conversion cylinders allowing the shooter to easily switch between the two calibers on the same firearm.

·
Premium Member
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok I see. Asked because I was out with a buddy shooting his 22 convertible with 22 LR and we discovered after the fact that he forgot to swap out the mag cylinder. So made me wonder why you need the regular 22 cyl. But if the mag dimensions are bigger so what then does the 22 LR bullets just rattle down the barrel? The bullets are the same size no?

·
Banned
1,165 Posts
Is the blind leading the blind here?
We see Darwin Awards material - this latest post is proof that some irresponsible folks should not be allowed to own, nor discharge firearms.

Ok I see. Asked because I was out with a buddy shooting his 22 convertible with 22 LR and we discovered after the fact that he forgot to swap out the mag cylinder. So made me wonder why you need the regular 22 cyl. But if the mag dimensions are bigger so what then does the 22 LR bullets just rattle down the barrel? The bullets are the same size no?
Same guy gave us this gem: Reused primers

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
I dont know about a Darwin Award, might just be simple ignorance.
Full disclosure, I have made this error myself.
The diameter difference between 22LR and 22 Mag is not all that huge, I didn't notice any difference until I ejected the empties and saw the expanded necks.
Didn't go for a second cylinder full but the results were not as catastrophic as some would believe.
This was with a Ruger Single Six, an overbuild firearm if there ever was one so, no, the world didn't end.
IIRC, the bore diameter on those is middle of the road to accommodate either bullet diameter.

Not a practice I would recommend but everyone has an "oops" moment on occasion.

·
Premium Member
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We see Darwin Awards material - this latest post is proof that some irresponsible folks should not be allowed to own, nor discharge firearms.

A bit harsh Mr Sanchez, shooting with a friend who I know is a safety conscious person who accidentally forgot to swap out his cylinder. As for me who in the heck would think to check as I didn’t even know it was a convertible. That being said my buddy was embarrassed and apologetic. Things happen, Nobody was hurt but that’s was the reason for my original post asking what’s the difference after all there are convertibles for 45’s LC and ACP, 357 and 9mm so I get the size different between the 22’s but if said bullet is going down the same barrel I just wanted to know the harm in using the same cylinder. I think I am getting my point across, hard sometimes translating thoughts to a computer. By the way the Darwin crack no way offends got a chuckle out of it 👍

·
Banned
1,165 Posts
Following statement clearly demonstrates that experienced adult supervision is required for both shooters involved here:

Just wondering why the second cylinder for a 22 is necessary when wouldn’t the cylinder for the 22 mag work for both?

·
Moderator/Silver Bullet Member
18,691 Posts

And this is a perfect example of how to discourage those who are new to guns from asking questions. Please take a week to think about proper conduct here on the forum. Thank you.

·
Premium Member
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Done the .22 LR into .22 Mag thing once...split cases with no damage to sixgun or me.
The case's didn't even split on us, we only shot maybe half a box when my friend discovered the mixup. Which led to our discussion and then to my OP. I've read Mr. Sanchez's post's in the past so his condescending some would say insulting reply doesn't surprise or bother me. I have learned the only dumb question is the one not asked and if I don't know then their are others who don't also. I enjoy this forum and get a lot out of it even from Mr. Sanchez and his wealth of knowledge so my input will still be forthcoming.

·
Registered
5,973 Posts
Only half a box? On two separate instances the owners of High Standard Double Nines had been shooting LR from the WMR cylinder for I don't know how long.
FP must be long enough in the HS that they never had misfires and had no reason to look at the spent cases.
FWIW, both cylinders were unfluted. Unlike the Ruger Super Single Six which has cylinders distinguishable at a glance.

·
Silver Bullet member
3,340 Posts
The case's didn't even split on us, we only shot maybe half a box when my friend discovered the mixup. Which led to our discussion and then to my OP. I've read Mr. Sanchez's post's in the past so his condescending some would say insulting reply doesn't surprise or bother me. I have learned the only dumb question is the one not asked and if I don't know then their are others who don't also. I enjoy this forum and get a lot out of it even from Mr. Sanchez and his wealth of knowledge so my input will still be forthcoming.
Only half a box? On two separate instances the owners of High Standard Double Nines had been shooting LR from the WMR cylinder for I don't know how long.
FP must be long enough in the HS that they never had misfires and had no reason to look at the spent cases.
FWIW, both cylinders were unfluted. Unlike the Ruger Super Single Six which has cylinders distinguishable at a glance.
A buddy of mine did the same thing with his Ruger Single Six (.22LR from the WMR cylinder).

I don't know how many rounds he fired, over 100 I guess, but had no split cases or other issues.

But the gun never shot well after that. Thought maybe the forcing cone got leaded up.

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
I should think that if the forcing cone was going to lead up it would have done so no matter which cylinder was installed.
No matter though, there are tools and methods for dealing with that issue.

In the same vein as the OP though, what makers have offered this type of convertible revolver?
The Rugers I am aware of and learned through this thread of the High Standard, any others?

·
Silver Bullet member
3,340 Posts
Heritage sells their .22 revolvers with a WMR cylinder if you want that option. The extra cylinder can be ordered seperately if you have a revolver with only the LR cylinder, and supposedly doesn't require fitting.

Colt's Frontier Scout model was also a convertible.

·
Premium Member
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
BobM1919 I believe my friends pistol was an older Harrington and Richardson.

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
Thanks, no, I'm not looking to buy but was just curious as to makers other than Ruger.
Got a single six but, alas, the LR cylinder is missing.

·
Registered
5,973 Posts
I dont know about a Darwin Award, might just be simple ignorance.
Full disclosure, I have made this error myself.
The diameter difference between 22LR and 22 Mag is not all that huge, I didn't notice any difference until I ejected the empties and saw the expanded necks.
Didn't go for a second cylinder full but the results were not as catastrophic as some would believe.
This was with a Ruger Single Six, an overbuild firearm if there ever was one so, no, the world didn't end.
IIRC, the bore diameter on those is middle of the road to accommodate either bullet diameter.

Not a practice I would recommend but everyone has an "oops" moment on occasion.
Bob, you commented on bullet/bore size. I'm surprised nobody addressed the issue for you yet. Here goes....in a nutshell :)
The 22lr bullet diameter differs from the 22 wmr by only a thousandth or two. The heeled lubricated or copper washed bullet of the LR vs the actual jacketed bullet of the WMR.
The size difference worth noting is in the case diameter. The LR round can actually fit inside the magnum case (most times). Therefore the cylinder bore is larger for the latter vs the former.
This allows the LR round to sit a little 'off'. The case expands off center and the bullet enters the forcing cone a wee bit more askew than desirable. Theoretically putting pressure against the walls more unevenly. Modern metallurgy can compensate as has been shown, but it isn't something to be tested constantly.

Most barrels are set up to handle the magnum round relying on bullet obturation of the soft long rifle round to make up the difference.

Being slightly off spec increases the problem of cylinder crud and leading. While it isn't known to be catastrophic, its certainly a total PIA to have to clean up.

I have never tried this next part and I have no desire to try it unless my life depended on it. But here goes for the sake of information.
Others have cut portions of the 22WMR casing to use as cylinder liners as 22LR 'adapters'. Good for a one or two time use. Providing the firearm is capable of making a good rim strike. Some do and some can't.

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
Bob, you commented on bullet/bore size. I'm surprised nobody addressed the issue for you yet. Here goes....in a nutshell :)
The 22lr bullet diameter differs from the 22 wmr by only a thousandth or two. The heeled lubricated or copper washed bullet of the LR vs the actual jacketed bullet of the WMR.
The size difference worth noting is in the case diameter. The LR round can actually fit inside the magnum case (most times). Therefore the cylinder bore is larger for the latter vs the former.
This allows the LR round to sit a little 'off'. The case expands off center and the bullet enters the forcing cone a wee bit more askew than desirable. Theoretically putting pressure against the walls more unevenly. Modern metallurgy can compensate as has been shown, but it isn't something to be tested constantly.

Most barrels are set up to handle the magnum round relying on bullet obturation of the soft long rifle round to make up the difference.

Being slightly off spec increases the problem of cylinder crud and leading. While it isn't known to be catastrophic, its certainly a total PIA to have to clean up.

I have never tried this next part and I have no desire to try it unless my life depended on it. But here goes for the sake of information.
Others have cut portions of the 22WMR casing to use as cylinder liners as 22LR 'adapters'. Good for a one or two time use. Providing the firearm is capable of making a good rim strike. Some do and some can't.
Thank You

1 - 20 of 20 Posts