Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my .22 conversion from Dunavit and took it to the range today. The kit is well made and quite accurate.

I am having one problem though. The slide gets hung up when passing over the hammer. It would seem that the mainspring and hammer are putting too much upward pressure on the bottom of the slide for it to cycle. To get the slide to return to battery, I kept having to push on the rear of it. I'm thinking about lightening up the mainspring ever so slightly to get the kit to function. Anyone else have this problem or maybe a solution?

·
Registered
80 Posts
I would think it is just needing to break in. try some lithium grease on the slide rails and work it a few times without the recoil spring to loosen it up. I have actully used lapping compound to polish my rails on my Mak that I carry, result was a very smooth action

·
Registered
386 Posts
I just got my .22 conversion from Dunavit and took it to the range today. The kit is well made and quite accurate.

I am having one problem though. The slide gets hung up when passing over the hammer. It would seem that the mainspring and hammer are putting too much upward pressure on the bottom of the slide for it to cycle. To get the slide to return to battery, I kept having to push on the rear of it. I'm thinking about lightening up the mainspring ever so slightly to get the kit to function. Anyone else have this problem or maybe a solution?
Some of the Kits that came in after those brought out by Makarov.com had thin rails, and would cause this to happen. Measure the thickness of the rails on your kit vs those on the original slide. If they are noticabily smaller than I would send it back for an exchange or refund.

-George

·
Registered
125 Posts
I didn't notice that problem. However, shooting Federal 550 rounds I had a 1/3 failure to eject/feed rate. I also had a number of rounds that would fire, though there were strike marks on the brass. When it did work, it worked well.

I'm going to try some different ammo. I'm thinking light loads could cause the failure to eject/feed. Does any one have thoughts or recommendations?

I'll be taking the slide measurements as suggested by George - thanks!

Oppie

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Well I think maybe it just needed a little bit more breaking in. I just reassembled the kit and it seems to be cycling (by hand) just fine now. On the downside it did require a little bit of blood. OW! I'll take it out again to shoot this week and see how it goes.

Just for reference can you elaborate on where exactly to measure?

EDIT. Now it seems to be hanging up again after lubing it. This thing sure is temperamental.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think I found one problem. The little nub on the hammer spring that wraps around the ejector was rubbing itself a nice channel inside the slide. A squeeze with a pair of pliers seems to have eliminated that problem. But only test firing will tell.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Willy - upon closer inspection, I have the same issue with the hammer spring nub rubbing on the slide. If not for that and some possible light ammo, it would have been great. Hmm. I'm going to e-mail the seller and inquire. Thanks.

·
Registered
125 Posts
follow-up: Spoke to Sephan the owner of the business that sells the conversion kits. I found him quite responsive. He offered replace the kit and drive down to my area (nearly 50mi) to install and troubleshoot. Instead, I filed down the end of the hammer spring and took it to the range one more time. It works well, less the one faulty mag. went a good 350 rounds and not a jam or misfeed with the good mag. Given the channel etched in the slide and the faulty mag, i have asked for each to be replaced. I now await his reply. Though I anticipate it will work out fine for me. I'll update.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I haven't been back out to the range yet for a function check. But I did just reinstall the kit and it seems to cycle by hand perfectly. I can't get the slide to stop all the way back, so the problem seems to have been solved.

And as a bonus, I managed to not draw any blood this time.

·
Registered
3 Posts
.22 conversion?

Hi,
I'm new to the board and will probably have quite a few questions by the time I'm finished digesting the old posts.
Where can I get a .22 conversion kit?

·
Gold Bullet member
335 Posts
Hi,
I'm new to the board and will probably have quite a few questions by the time I'm finished digesting the old posts.
Where can I get a .22 conversion kit?
Do a web search for dunavit
You will see it at least pretty close to the top of the list.

My brother and I have yet to try out ours. We did have the spring to slide clearence problem too. My brother just took the ever so slight bit of material away from the spring on each pistol. No problems hand cycling.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Glad I read this post. I had guessed it was a magazine related problem, now I will look into this spring issue too. Mine is not cycling 100% either. It also shoots to the right by about 4 inches from 15 yards, groups well though. Might have to adjust the rear dovetail. I think I will like this .22 conversion a lot once it gets running reliably, but for the price, it should run right out of the box.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I think the specs to which the various Maks were made were pretty loose. From what I've read some have hammer spring "fitting" issues while others don't. The failure to feed/eject was directly related to the Mag. Close inspection of my mags, revealed that the top left hook on one mag was ever-so-slightly bent inward. Only when the using that mag did the Mak have any FTF/FTE issues. Dunavit made it all good and I'm very please with the kit.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts