Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The 2021 SOS in Louisville Kentucky was a great show, about 25% smaller than normal with very few European members making it to the show. There were a lot of opportunities to find things to add to the collection, one of the best was a Belgian uniform with an original Gomez belt.

·
Registered
4,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Prices were about the same on militaria, I did not price any firearms, but from experience before the show those are up even for non black guns.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
57,116 Posts
Forgive my ignorance but what is a "non black gun"?

AR's and such, Modern stuff

I was at NGS,, Nations Gun Show the same weekend and a lot of the guys that sell non black guns were absent,
they were at SOS,

except for CSArms, and he had some really interesting and odd (stuff you don't see every day, week or year) firearms on his tables

·
Super Moderator
Field Editor ~ GUNS Magazine, Co-Author ~ Serbian Army Weapons of Victory &PH - Kudu Safaris
11,619 Posts
Well done Gsu! ....... Nice haul Bud.

I REALLY HATE YOU! ..... Damn Belgian uniform with a Gomer cartridge belt no less!!!

DAMN????

Quick question please ..... Did you happen to see any Berndorfer helmets or Berndorfer stirnpanzers??? ...... Prices??? ......What were high-end Central Powers helmets selling for?

·
Registered
4,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quick question please ..... Did you happen to see any Berndorfer helmets or Berndorfer stirnpanzers??? ...... Prices??? ......What were high-end Central Powers helmets selling for?
There were only a couple of German pattern M17 Austrian helmets in nice shape with liners and chin straps for around $900. I recently bought a rough Berdorfer shell with liner band off the RIA auction for about $600 and a friend bought a nice shell for double that. Complete helmets are bring well over 3 big ones, but I have not seen any sell recently.

·
Super Moderator
Field Editor ~ GUNS Magazine, Co-Author ~ Serbian Army Weapons of Victory &PH - Kudu Safaris
11,619 Posts
Thanks Gsu!

When it comes time to start selling my helmets, it sounds like a trip to the SOS would be well worth the drive to Louisville.

I have two complete Berndorfers with original with liners and chinstraps. I also have two original Stirnpanzers to go with the helmets. One of the Stirnpanzers has the original straps, while the other sports a set of repro straps.

Each helmet has a different liner, representing two of the three original pattern liners.

Continued............

·
Super Moderator
11,619 Posts
And with the Stirnpanzers........

·
Super Moderator
11,619 Posts
Rarer still is the Austro-Hungarian M17 Stirnpanzer with original straps. ....... They don't have an example of this one in the Heeresgeschichtliches Museum in Vienna.

Enjoy!

·
Super Moderator
11,619 Posts
Thanks for the help with the requested info Gsu! ....... But I still hate you for that damn Belgian tunic and Gomer ammunition belt!

·
Registered
4,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the help with the requested info Gsu! ....... But I still hate you for that damn Belgian tunic and Gomer ammunition belt!
I can live with that. The next SOS is 23-26 February of 2022, but the hard part will be getting tables, you need to plan at least a year in advance.

·
Super Moderator
11,619 Posts
Thanks again Gsu!

To date I've only sold a handful of rifles, but haven't touched the rest of the Collection. My best guess would be to wait until well after the pandemic, then plan a year in advance. Is the winter show busier than the summer show?

When the time comes, Valush and I will rent a van and enjoy a road trip to Louisville with stops to see a few friends along the way.

Way too cool!

·
Registered
4,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Is the winter show busier than the summer show?
This summer show was a fluke, it was the February show postponed and it is hard to compare them. With out the European buyers, there were some vendors who did not do as well, and I would expect your market to be largely European. This would have been a great year for the European buyers as the Euro is strong, but I suspect that will continue for a few years.

·
Super Moderator
11,619 Posts
Thanks for the additional input Gsu.

The post pandemic February show appears to be the best way to go. We're in no hurry regarding the Militaria side of the Collection, so time is on our side.

The Botswana Safari season was shut down both last year and this, so the cash budgeted for international travel is still sitting in the bank.

Please give our very best to Maggie!

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
The SOS show was still a good show but yes dealers and attendance was down. I was still able to pick up some nice Imperial German items I was hunting for. I did see some Schutztruppe equipment but I was not sure on their originally. My gut was telling me they were reproductions. Still the fun part is seeing your collector friends you haven't seen for over a year.

Little bit of my haul not big but I was quite happy.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts