Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a couple of Snider carbines and got the camera out tonight for a side-by-side.
The top one is British issue, and the bottom one I'm assuming might be a Portuguese contract. (Don't really know, which is the point of this post....)
If the bottom carbine is a Portuguese contract, I'd love to have any feedback or information, as I know almost nothing.

Regards, Ned

·
Platinum Bullet Member
4,612 Posts
Looks like they both spent time in Portugal, and the one without Victoria's cypher does appear to be one of the contract carbines. As far as I know, surplus British issue carbines were sold to Portugal first, in the 1880's, then when they ran out, the trade supplied the rest of the contract with the specifically marked ones (the "GP" crown). There isn't all that much info out there that I've been able to find on the Portuguese contract.

The Portuguese marked rifle has rifle style nail cups...I wonder whether it's in a cut down stock. Is there an "FA" stamp on either one?

Wish I had more to tell you...but as I said, I haven't found out much myself (I have one of the surplus British carbines), and my Snider book's gone AWOL on me.

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I've had both of them apart, and there is no indication of the Portuguese stock being a former rifle stock.
ie. no doweled cleaning rod channel hole, no cleaning rod stop, and both of them are with butt traps and their original 2 piece cleaning rods.

There is a small crown-over-FA on the top/center of the receiver ring, the tang of the buttplate, and the forward tip of the trigger guard of the G.P. carbine.

When you referenced that both of these carbines spent time in Portugal, what do you see in the pics?
Was it the serial numbers?

I've just found two Portuguese Snider carbines and some info at:
joesalter.com
collectiblefirearms.com
They both reference a total production of these carbines at 1200.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
4,612 Posts
When you referenced that both of these carbines spent time in Portugal, what do you see in the pics? Was it the serial numbers?
The saddle ring behind the trigger guard is the giveaway. It's a feature of the carbines produced for Portugal, and added to the ex-British ones that went there. The "FA" stands for "Forças Armadas"..."Armed Forces" in Portuguese. My ex-British carbine (an 1870 dated Enfield just like yours) has "FA 1883" stamped on the left side of the stock, just opposite of the lock plate.

·
Registered
32 Posts
MarkIIIs

They both have the sadle ring in the right place and the one with the crown over G P stamped on the loce dated 1875 has all of the marks since you mention the crown over fa marks. I have one for sale in the trader forum with some good pics if you want to compare them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.