Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi everyone,good to be back! i have a couple of ex sniper questions first off. a 1943 dated ishevesk(?spell) with four holes in the receiver(two close together up front,two a little further apart at the rear). would that be a pu or pe model? also would $60.00 be a good price for it? its been completely refurbed to a regular 91/30. straight bolt ,new stock, holes welded, and the scope serial number ground off the barrel. a gun dealer buddy of mine got it mixed in a batch of 91/30s he ordered from century. said hed let me have it at cost if i want it. so what do ya think?

·
Administrator
19,287 Posts
Its a PU and 60.00 would be a very good price.

·
Gold Bullet member
1,189 Posts
If you don't have a 1943 ex-sniper it's a good price. You won't lose any money on it if you decide to sell it. It's a ex-PU. I prefer the ones with the scope number still intact, but that's just me.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
cool,he's also got a nice 1947 dated m-44 think i'll talk him out of both. i had asked about pu scope diameters and was told that igor makes mounts with one inch rings. whos igor? also would i be able to get the "right" scope/mounts/etc. there if i decide to restore the ex sniper?

·
Administrator
19,287 Posts
You can get scope and mount sets off e-bay very easily.

·
Administrator
19,287 Posts
If you don't have a 1943 ex-sniper it's a good price. You won't lose any money on it if you decide to sell it. It's a ex-PU. I prefer the ones with the scope number still intact, but that's just me.
Picky picky.....;)

·
Copper Bullet member
679 Posts
Same flavor different store

I ran across a Tula ex as described by chivato. It has matching #s and a good bore. Does $150.00 sound too much.

·
Copper Bullet member
1,903 Posts
If it comes with the accessories ( sling, cleaning kit, ammo pouch and bayonet) that would be about average.

·
Banned
1,151 Posts
If it has a decent, shootable bore and tight muzzle, a '43 Izhevsk PU rifle would be a great candidate for restoration to it's original and most historically significant WW2 combat sniper configuration. And $60 would indeed be a good price for it - about half what it is worth.

I don't know if Ammunitionstore.com still has any original PU scopes with mounts (these are missing the base that mounts to the receiver), but these were going for around $300 and are a pretty good deal. Gunboards sponsor General Zhukov/Accumounts offers Russian made steel bases, and I believe also replica scopes and mounts. Also, as Vic mentioned, these can usually be found on Ebay - I have dealt with a seller called "Hetman500" on several occassions and been quite happy. He used to have original WW2 and immediate post-war Soviet military items, but I believe he is now only able to obtain the new Ukrainian made items.

My advice would be to attempt to obtain an original scope and mount if possible, as this will add more value and collector interest to the rifle, which make it worth more now and continue to appreciate in value in the future. Original bases are about impossible to locate, so a current production Russian or Ukrainian item are your best bet here. But even with a nice current reproduction mount and scope, this will still be a desirable and collectable rifle and should make an excellent shooter.

Tula snipers, whether in original or "ex"-sniper configuration, are a lot scarcer and harder to find, and hence more sought after and valuable than similar Izhevsk rifles. For a nice Tula PU "ex"-sniper, $150 would not be out of line.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
1,562 Posts
Who's this Marcus guy!!

Could it be the Grand Poo Bah hissownself! Back in town? Welcome back Buddy, you have been missed by all us Secret Sniper Clubbers!

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
well i did it! picked up both the 43 ex sniper and the 47 m44(same arsenal). got both for $130.00 out the door and both did come with the accessories(never did see much use for a bayonet on a sniper rifle though). now to save my pennies then start the search for a scope :) probbably have to wait till after christmas though cause if i dont get momma and the kids something nice for christmas i'll be in hot water for sure!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts