·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
kriggevær
Gunboards.Com Gold Star Member
USA
1709 Posts
Posted - 03/13/2007 : 4:27:26 PM I just bought a Danish over/under shotgun and was looking around for 2.5" shotshell ammo and hulls. I stumbled on this over at Graf & Son and thought it looked interesting. Don't know a thing about reloading shotgun shells, but thought brass might be the ticket. http://www.grafs.com/fc/product/113372
kriggevær
"Roland was a warrior from the Land of the Midnight Sun..."

NiklasP
Gunboards Premium Member
101 Posts
Posted - 03/13/2007 : 5:51:54 PM Been loading 16X65 for decades, both with older Fiocchi 65 mm hulls and with others shortened to 65 mm. Lots less fuss than loading brass hulls. Ditto for 12X65. I never have 65 or 67 mm chambers lengthened and shoot very little 70 mm factory ammo. What 70 mm ammo I do shoot is usually to get hulls for reloading.Also, check Remington Black Promo hulls (at least those sold in USA). All I have seen are 67 mm, even though marked 70. Load them normally and shoot then in all my 16X65s. Never had any problem finding 65 or 67 mm ammo, although sometimes have to order it.One really does not need a loading tool specifically for 65 or 67 mm hulls, just load them on normal 70 mm press and put overshot card wad in before crimping. The card wad, or most any other little peice of strong paper or thin cardboard, will cover the hole in star crimp that results from hull being shorter than previously, keeping the shot from falling out, one pellet at a time. This crimps are often called "hartin" crimps, in honor of fellow that wrote lots about them many years ago.
Niklas

allanschisel
USA
2283 Posts
Posted - 03/13/2007 : 6:59:46 PM Here are places that sell 2.5" shotshells: http://www.polywad-shotgun-shells.com/spred-r-spreader-loads/ http://www.eleyshotshells.com/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=ES&Category_Code=TL http://catalog.ammodepot.com/
Allan Schisel
Allan SchiselAllan's Armory http://allans-armory.com
Edited by - allanschisel on 03/13/2007 7:02:12 PM

Ordtech
Gunboards Premium Member
USA
150 Posts
Posted - 03/13/2007 : 7:45:43 PM We had a couple of threads on this.Do a search for "Polywad" and they show up. There are links to data.Hodgdon has 2.5" loads for 12 gauge Winchester shells. IMR has some under "Cowboy" loads.Allen Schissel has just about every US source of loaded shells listed.I've got a flat of 250 Polywad Vintagers that I plan to reload. They have Fiocci hulls. Pattern well and are mild - they break clays.Brass shells are pretty easy. If you keep loads light you don't need to resize. You didn't state the gauge. You can find loads by googleing "cowboy loads", search the powder manufacturers. Basically you just powder, nitro-wad, buffer-wad, shot, overshot card. Then "liquid glass", white school glue, gluegun, some even use caulking, to glue the overshot card to the brass. The glue holds it for handling but goes bye bye when you shoot. Cowboy Action Shooters are doing it every weekend. Do a search for Cowboy "x" gauge brass data.What brand shotgun and do you have pictures? I've sort of looked for one for Sporting Clays.Hope this helps.
Dennis

kriggevaer
USA
1709 Posts
Posted - 03/13/2007 : 8:02:19 PM Mange Tak everyone - my education has been furthered greatly. The shotgun is in the midst of shipping at this moment, so I hope to get it late this week, or early next. It is a Schultz & Larsen over/under, 12 gauge, made in 1943-44. Not many of them in the world. It was designed by Uffe Schultz-Larsen, son of Neils, grandson of Hans Schultz. I'll post photos when it arrives.
kriggevær

Ordtech
Gunboards Premium Member
USA
150 Posts
Posted - 03/13/2007 : 9:06:40 PM Kriggevaer,With 12 guage you can get 1/4" brass adapters from Midway orI just lowered a used 16 gauge MEC 600 shaft one bolt hole into the base for 2.5". It actually dropped 5/8" but it works because you can adjust all the dies.
D

kriggevaer
USA
1709 Posts
Posted - 03/13/2007 : 9:13:31 PM Thanks for the tip Ord'. I'm going to take Niklas' advice too. Once fired hulls are plentiful and cheap out my way.
kriggevær

Ordtech Gunboards Premium Member
USA
150 Posts
Posted - 03/17/2007 : 02:58:53 AM Kriggevaer,RCBS has brass shotshell dies for a single stage press.If you do load black powder in brass cases take a jar of soapy water to throw them in before you leave the range. They stain and corrode pretty bad if you don't. I use purple degreaser you get in a gallon jug. Some use dish soap or Lestoil. Whatever detergent you like. I clean the barrels with hot water and the same solution - cheaper than the store bought stuff and works like the olden days. Main thing is plenty of hot water and then oil to prevent rust.Also, petroleum based oils turn black soot into a hard crust. The extractor can get pretty sticky with regular oils. Ballistol is hyped, but it does work. So does mineral oil.And a dollop of Crisco on top of the shot keeps the soot soft for me. Not too much, we're not baking cookies!
D

kriggevaer Gunboards.Com Gold Star Member
USA
1709 Posts
Posted - 03/17/2007 : 10:30:47 AM Thanks Ordtech - the RCBS tip is going to get looked into for sure. It would be interesting to load up some in black powder. It is taking forever for the shotgun to get here, but I'm hoping Monday or Tuesday.
kriggevæ

1 - 1 of 1 Posts