Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've included 2 images of my targets after shooting my Mosin for the very first time. My 100yd target isn't too bad I figure; for shooting it for the 1st time and for straining my 60+ year old eyeballs to see that bugger!!

I did have the problem with the sticky bolt and I can't remember where the information was on what is causing it, and how to correct it.

Anyhow, it didn't kick as hard as I thought, but I'll still have a sore shoulder tomorrow.

Loads of fun.......................I think I'll get another. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was using Bulgarian 7.62x54R. (it said -Bulgarian production, steel core, non-corrosive.)I cleaned immediately after shooting at the range, as if corrosive. Still learning this stuff. I've included an actual picture of the ammo I'm using.

Attachments

·
Gold Bullet member
4,039 Posts
Sticky bolt...old cosmoline in the chamber and bolt parts. I use a little ammonia based glass cleaner and cloth patch (or paper towels, Q-tips, whatever works) to cut through it, then some gun oil as the cleaner really 'dries out' the metal.

Have fun with your Mosin :) .

Keith

·
Registered
6,799 Posts
chuck

you've obviously enjoyed your rifle so far

and you already want another one .

you've contracted 'mosinitis' its

incurable.

mosins are rugged and reliable rifles

and have smashing power,

and there are lots of tricks you can do

to enhance your mosin.

FIVESHOT

·
Gold Bullet member
4,821 Posts
Not bad shooting for those "old eyes" of yours. Shooting the old war horses are a real blast. As mentioned by others, get in and clean up the bolt real good. Sometimes a cordless drill with a 410 brush on the end will clean up the chamber pretty good...there could be old lacquer or cosmoline built up causing the sticky bolt. Try a few different types of ammo to find out which one your rifle prefers to eat. Different ammo can make a world of a difference in accuracy and consistency.

·
Registered
724 Posts
100 yard targets....You got me scared!!

Good shooting! Remember to check the action screws often. Front screw pretty tight, rear screw not so tight just a good snug. Me thinks you like that rifle! **bigsmile** You did really good and the recoil of a 91/30 really isn't bad at all..

Keep trying different flavors of ammo. Some shoot better than others and that's a fun time too!

Enjoy that rifle. You have a keeper!

Draybo : )

I just think I said the same thing gun_lover said. TOO FUN!!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Not bad shooting for those "old eyes" of yours. Shooting the old war horses are a real blast. As mentioned by others, get in and clean up the bolt real good. Sometimes a cordless drill with a 410 brush on the end will clean up the chamber pretty good...there could be old lacquer or cosmoline built up causing the sticky bolt. Try a few different types of ammo to find out which one your rifle prefers to eat. Different ammo can make a world of a difference in accuracy and consistency.
The cordless drill method has worked for me several times but look at the empty cases also for any marks, might also have a ding in the chamber.
As far as Mil-Surps go just enjoy them, it's all about fun!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks for all the replies and tips. I did the cordless drill method and didn't seem to get too much cosmo out. I did look at my spent shells and didn't notice anything out of the ordinary. Too bad I tossed them in the can at the range. I may go back and dig them out to see how they look, and to see if they fit easily into the chamber. I'm thinking I need to clean the smaller diameter just before the bore diameter..............correct. I think I'll go back and use a nylon bore brush with the drill. I'll probably go and shoot again on Monday. Then I'll be lookin where to get some more ammo. :)

Anyone heard of using PB Blaster as a cleaner?

·
Silver Bullet member
480 Posts
Try re-cocking the bolt after you fire it, then open the bolt. That makes some of mine work much easier. Great shooting! But you'll "have" to get back out there and practice more. I know, it's work but someone has to do it. :)

jeff

·
Platinum Bullet Member
7,597 Posts
Loads of fun.......................I think I'll get another. :)
...and down the slippery slope he goes. :) Don't worry, you will find lots of company at the bottom. Nice shooting, BTW.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I too shot my 91/30 for the first time this weekend. Foolishly left the camera at home... Sigh. Shot it till cosmoline started to wick out of the wood... Was surprised it kicked a little harder than my M39 Finn...

Found the Hoppe's Elite works exceptionally well in cleaning a hot barrel... Liked it. Fell in full on love with the Finn... The Mosinitis, it makes you ache to shoot more... and buy more...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Well it sounds like I wasn't the only one this weekend who went out and played! 60 rounds of Russian 7.62x54r me wish I could find my Evil Twin and borrow HER shoulder for a while! Recoil wasn't bad, though those last 10 rounds stung a bit. Dead on the money accurate too. I found that the Windex worked great followed by some Hoppes 9, and Break Free.
Now I just have to take my husband out to play!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.