Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a gunbroker Swedish M96 for a week now and wanted the boards opinion on the following:
Note: It is serial # 243126, all exposed metal parts have the #126 rolled/stamped on 10 parts - all matching without any other #'. Inspected by JV (Jacques Virgin) and marked 1909. Paid $315.00
Questions: 1. No import marks that I can find, although there is a stamped "St. Albans" right in front of the bolt on the receiver? 2. Red paint on the disc. screw and two of the disc. numbers? Replace screw? 3. Is the stock walnut? 4. Should I pull the stock to check for numbers and maybe clean the stock with Murphys Oil Soap and soft cloth, dry, and then BLO? 5. I know this is not rare, but I don't want to "Bubba" it in any way. 6. What do you guys think?
Thanks - Arlie

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I meant to ask how easy is it for me to pull the receiver and barrel from the stock, I have only done this on a bubba cut down Lee-enfield. I'm do not work on, or break down weapons. Other then the barrel bands it doesn't look that hard if I'm slow and careful. Thanks - Arlie

·
Silver Bullet Member
3,220 Posts
Open grained wood means it's walnut. If the buttplate matches the stock probably does too but pulling the stock is simple so go ahead if it makes you feel better. You will need something to push the bandspring down with, you can whittle a paint paddle or yardstick down to a point and use it to push the spring down and push the band off in one swoop. Stock looks pretty good, why clean it? Just wipe some BLO on it and buff it off an hour later. I remember the red screw from GB, I would replace that.

Main thing is go out and shoot it, you need to bond with it and that's the best way. ;)

·
Moderator / Gold Bullet member
2,665 Posts
It is very easy to crack the handguard if you don't know what you're doing. Even if you do know what you're doing. I'd suggest you leave it alone if your only reason is curiosity.

IMO, don't mess with Murphy's oil soap and just leave it alone. Uninformed intentional do-gooders ruin more rifles... Please, leave it be. If the buttplate matches I'm bet so does the stock. Don't mess with it.

Dutch

·
Moderator/Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet member
9,680 Posts
Looks like you did good to me . I think it best to keep the same screw , but remove it & wire wheel the paint off or paint remover ? The #4 & #6 brass wood screws are either to big or to small . Just not the right Swedish size . Usually the range decal is covered with shellac or varnish . I would keep BLO off of it . Very delicate , so don't soften the coating on the decal .

·
Silver Bullet Member
1,913 Posts
If you use BLO or most any chemical cleaner you will probably loosen the range decal. Stock does look pretty good as is. But, for just a bit dirty or a smokers film on it, I use a soft cotton cloth just barely damp with water. Rub well and plain old dust and film is gone. I do not see anything else on yours that needs any chemical.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Nice looking rifle. My first Swede was a 1909 as well. Everyone had legitimate points about not taking her down.I typically do take a rifle down when I first get it to give it a good going over. The Swedes were meticulous about their rifles,but who's to say the last owner was. I would wipe her down.Find someone to give you a hand if uncetain. I would gently clean the red paint off the disc screw. If for some reason you have a problem doing so,I'm pretty sure I have one here you can have....Larry

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.