Gunboards Forums banner

1st Sks questions

2K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  tnxdshooter 
#1 ·
I just picked up an Sks in a partial trade and no nothing about them. It is all matching, stamped 76 in a triangle on the stock, and is Chinese. It is still cosmoed up all over. Sn 17 1770? B. norinco imported by ptk international in Atlanta. Could anyone give me any advice on what it might be worth or anything else about it? I have ak and ars but it is the only Sks I have gotten.

Thanks

#3 ·
It sure is pretty. The shellac finnish is very much lik my my mosin finish, but new looking.

#4 ·
Sounds good, like shucks said, $100-$400, most likely $250 middle of the road price. Just make sure yoiu get ALL the cosmoline out of it including the bolt with particular regards to the firing pin channel so you won't get a slam-fire condition from a sticky firing pin. Nice purchase, you will love your SKS! Nice rifles, fun to shoot and cheap ammo.

#6 ·
You probably need to look at your factory code again....as you will probably note that it's a triangle 26 rifle rather than triangle 76. I checked Howie Bearse's code listing and didn't see a 76 code as I suspected when I first read your post. Your rifle probably is about what all have said regarding value..... The value is also predicated on your particular area, too. Around these parts, if you could sell one for those numbers, great....but, try and buy one for those prices, good luck... :)

#7 ·
I don't need to sell it, but might need to get some cash together soon. For some builds and bills. I have been wanting something else in x39, and maybe this is it.

#8 ·
So I got around to messing with it today. I detail stripped it today, and it looked like someone had coated all of the guts in cosmo a quarter inch thick. The inside of the stock was smeared in every groove. I like how cosmetically it fits the bill between the mosin and ak I have. The gas tube and piston were packed in automotive grease,not Cosmo. Is this common? Anyone have any other advice? There is a definite circle 76 on the stock. I can't make out the thing in the triangle completely. Thanks guys

#9 ·
These rifles were usually just dipped into large barrels of hot cosmoline. When the stuff is hot, just like wax, it's a liquid and will penetrate every nook and cranny. Like the others have mentioned, remove the firing pin and clean the channel thoroughly.

I had one that also had a light colored grease filling the gas tube.

#11 ·
Good for you! It's worth at least $300. That cosmolene is gooey stuff on the SKS rifles. Fortunately, the SKS is easy to disassemble. A great research project is to try to determine when it was manufactured. I have one that I bought in 1992, with a milled receiver (no telling when it was made). Enjoy shooting it! Post some pics when you get a chance please.

#12 ·
A mix of kerosene and ATF liquified the Cosmo and microfiber cloth wiped it off in 30 mins or so. Wil try to post some pics.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.