Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been after a Gewehr 98 for many moons, but always missed out for one reason or another. Found this one tucked away at a little hole in the wall shop.

1916 Spandau. Matching everything, down to the action screws. Has a nice clean bore. Stock appears to never have been messed with.
Unfortunately the bolt is out of a Kar98a & the sling is probably Yugoslavian. No cleaning rod either.

I don't know much about these rifles

·
Registered
723 Posts
There are cleaning rods all over the place. Numrich has 'em.

World War Supply has repros. I prefer the repros. I've had too many old ones with ripped up threads that came out when the rifle was fired...

Bolts are common, too. Imperial not QUITE so common. I'd have the headspace checked in any case.

Reactions: Shadow64

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks y'all. Makes me feel better about getting it.

I've got headspace gauges on order, was needing a set for 8mm anyway and just kicked me in the butt to get em. I like having them around for all the calibers my wife & I shoot.

·
Registered
6,986 Posts
Matchies other than the bolt are common for bringbacks. At the end of WW1 the Germans deactivated their guns for surrender by separating the bolts from the rifles. Then when US soldiers wanted souvenirs they took a gun from one pile and a bolt from the other. My Kar 98 is the same way.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I looked for years to find a matching number Gew98. I finally scored a 1916 Mauser a few years back that wasn't terribly overpriced and was matching down the the bolt and action screws. I think it was about $800 all in including shipping off of a Gunbroker auction. The wood on yours looks nicer than the wood on mine.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Congratulations! A pretty nice Gew.98, in obviously far above average condition !
Please check if your rifle has a duffle cut under the rear barrel band. Since she looks most-matching, she might be a WW bring back, with duffel cuts usual.

Chris

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Interesting information y'all. I'll check for a duffel cut. I didn't even think about it when I had the hand guard off.

Goes well with my other world war rifles.
My guns of the Great War, so far.

Gewehr 88/05. Made 1891, Loewe Berlin.
1891 Carcano. Made 1893, Terreno Italy.
Gewehr 98. Made 1916, Spandau.
1903 Springfield. Made 1918, Rock Island Arsenal.

So now ti find a SMLE, Lebel, Imperial Mosin, M95 long rifle, & some others.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Very nice! Gew 98s still in the white with nice wood are few and far between nowadays. Looks like a keeper. I also am on the WWI kick picking up main rifles of many of the large contenders of the Great War. My 1916 G98 is a bring back, with no duffel cut with matching stock and bolt handle, but many other small parts mismatched, probably field repaired. Not nearly as clean as yours, but its still a great shooter! Wonderful rifles with such strong history. Thanks for sharing.

Reactions: Shadow64

·
Silver Bullet Member
3,314 Posts
You still need a 1917 Springfield to go along with your 1903. See how easy it is for us to spend your money. ;)

·
Gold Bullet member
1,111 Posts
You still need a 1917 Springfield to go along with your 1903. See how easy it is for us to spend your money. ;)
No such rifle as a 1917 Springfield. It’s a US model of 1917 made by Winchester, Remington and Eddystone arsenal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Silver Bullet Member
3,314 Posts
No such rifle as a 1917 Springfield. It’s a US model of 1917 made by Winchester, Remington and Eddystone arsenal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
All right for you Mr. Fussypants...... Correction. “U.S. Rifle, Caliber . 30, Model of 1917,” Alan DeEnfield would have sent me to the nordy step.

·
Platinum Bullet Member and Certified Curmudgeon
15,125 Posts
GORGEOUS!!!!!! I want one..... How does it shoot (AFTER pulling the trigger)?
Probably better than it shoots before pulling the trigger.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Haven't shot it as yet. Waiting until I can get some .32 Winchester loaded up for another rifle. Hopefully this weekend.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts