Gunboards Forums banner

1st AR -- built a DMR-style rifle (pics)

2K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  Duncan Wood 
#1 ·
Hey guys. I'm more of a Russian mil-surp collector, but recently decided it was time to get an AR. I also decided that building was more fun (and cheaper) than buying, so that's what I did.

This is also my chance to duck in on the FAL/AR forum and say 'hi'.

Gun Firearm Rifle Trigger Assault rifle

Rifle details:

It's an RGuns 20" upper with a 1:9 fluted barrel. The lower is an Aero Precision with a DPMS parts kit. The stock is a Magpul PRS and is the best decision I made on the build (thanks to a tip from a bud).

I was going for something like the US Army Squad Designated Marksman Rifle. Like the SDMR, mine has the 20" fluted barrel, Harris bipod, and Matech BUIS. (*pic shows a cheap Caldwell bipod, but a proper Harris is in its place now)

Unlike the SDMR, I went with different optics since the ACOG doesn't suit my purposes or budget. The scope is a Millett TRS-1 with 1/10 mil turrets.

The trigger is stock from the DPMS kit, but I worked it into a double-stage. It's pretty good, but could use some more work. This might be the 1st thing I upgrade.

Here are the results of the first function test at 50 yards using the iron sights only. New gun, new AR shooter, and even some 1st-timer handloads just to further confuse things. I'm going to pretend the three-shot group in the center was from consecutive shots. I can do that because this is the internet ;) It actually COULD be -- I didn't look until I was done shooting.

Recreation Shooting sport Games Circle Gramophone record

Thanks for looking. Comments and tips are welcome.

See less See more
#4 ·
Good question, easy answer -- I sighted the rifle for point of aim = point of impact. When I shot the group shown above I kept vacillating between aiming at the center and a 6 o'clock hold.

I'm really excited to see what it will do when I actually try to shoot a consistent group!

#5 ·
Just looked at that center group again -- that bottom hole is ragged. That's a FOUR SHOT GROUP! I looked at the full-res pic on my PC and there's definitely four holes there. Sa-weeet! I can't wait to get this back to the range.

Geez, I might turn into one of those "AR guys" if I'm not careful.

#7 · (Edited)
I just shot a identical group a little bigger by maybe 1.5 inches at 200 open sights. Inconsistent sight picture was my issue as well. Vertical stringing. I kept letting the front sight migrate into the black with a 6 oclock hold. There is always something to inprove on in the shooting sports.

White oak offers a dmr barrel that I want to use when I do mine.

#8 ·
what did you do to work the trigger into a 2stage? good shooting, florida mike. i was shooting a carbine today at 100 into 1.5, for my old eyes, i was happy. windy and 2 of us shooting off a portable picnic table...... that's my excuse and i'm sticking to it.

#9 ·
I ground certain parts on the hammer and the disconnector until the disconnector JUST touches the hammer before the sear lets go. That gives it the second stage. I used a video from AGI as a guide. You can watch the video for the AR or the AK, the trigger system is the same.

I love working on triggers. There's something Zen about getting them just how you like them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.