Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does any one know when the 1PN34 was first made/ used in service? I am looking at a documented rifle with 1970 provenance but it has a 1PN34... we’re they used this early? Any googling does not give me a definitive answer. Any help appreciated.

·
Gold Bullet member
13,128 Posts
I can't answer your question but I'm curious about the documented rifle you mention. Please share the details when you can.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Does any one know when the 1PN34 was first made/ used in service? I am looking at a documented rifle with 1970 provenance but it has a 1PN34... we’re they used this early? Any googling does not give me a definitive answer. Any help appreciated.
Russian wikipedia says developed in 1970. Officially in service as of early 70ies

·
Registered
339 Posts
Depends on the rifle... if the documented rifle is an SVD it should have the SN of the PSO-1 it was mated with at the factory stamped on the left side of the buttstock and if it was an “N” model that came from the factory with night vision as well it should have the serial number of the night vision optic stamped on the right side of the buttstock.

My recollection is that the SN of the night optic on the buttstock will usually be prefaced with the Cyrillic letter “H”.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Russian wikipedia says developed in 1970. Officially in service as of early 70ies
hmm this doesn’t smell right then as I’ve been suspecting..

just FYI this item can be found in gunbroker searching “night Sks” you will see what I am referencing. There is a plaque on the stock dated 1970. Seems like the 1pn34 is not battlefield original

·
Registered
339 Posts
Ah yes I’ve see that rifle. No not original. To my knowledge the Russians did not field that weapon with a night vision capability. I’ve got the 1981 edition of the Soviet manual “Guide to the Use of Night Sights on Small Arms” which shows just about every combination of night optic and infantry weapons system produced in the Soviet Union up to that date. No depiction of the SKS.

That being said the Cubans for example have modified SKS rifles for the 1pn34 and 1pn58, and the Yugoslavians did as well to use the ZRAK PN 5x80 so I suppose you can’t totally discount the notion that the rifle for sale could be some sort of legitimate later field/armorer
modification that was captured.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ah yes I’ve see that rifle. No not original. To my knowledge the Russians did not field that weapon with a night vision capability. I’ve got the 1981 edition of the Soviet manual “Guide to the Use of Night Sights on Small Arms” which shows just about every combination of night optic and infantry weapons system produced in the Soviet Union up to that date. No depiction of the SKS.

That being said the Cubans for example have modified SKS rifles for the 1pn34 and 1pn58, and the Yugoslavians did as well to use the ZRAK PN 5x80 so I suppose you can’t totally discount the notion that the rifle for sale could be some sort of legitimate later field/armorer
modification that was captured.
Excellent info, thank you!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.