Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had my 1987 Cheve pickup (that was my father's) given a full tune up at a local garage. This vehicle has 75,600 miles on its odometer. During the 30 years my wife and I have been working overseas, this pick up has been stored in covered storage and only driven a few time per year when we returned to the states on leave. The mechanics who worked on the tune up sure like the vehicle and told me they sure would like to have one like it. Of that vintage without all to computerized equipment they are built with in today's market such as my other vehicles are equipted with. This '87 pickup could easily become my suvivor transportation if computer chips for vehicles and other parts become hard to come by.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Don't know for sure but you might need an older vehicle than that if you want to be safe. My 1987 Dodge Dakota has a big old computer in the engine bay. Lots of emissions equipment was mandatory by '87 and mine has throttle body fuel injection. Does your Chevy have a carburetor?

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My cheve has a fuel injection system. Yes I suppose there are some very early emissions and old computer equipment in the Cheve but nothing like the models being made today. I also have a 1982 Ford Bronco with lock out hubs that I believe is pretty much pre- computer vintage. It has a 300 CID 6 cyl. engine that runs very well but the body needs some work. The engine was rebuilt in the late 90's, the manual 4 speed on the floor transmission is good and the tires have a lot of tread remaining. With some body work this little rig should last as long as I'll need it and then some.

·
Registered
29 Posts
1987 Chevy was their first year for throttle body injection on the truck but still a mechanical 700R4 transmission, if automatic. They are overall solid trucks with only 1 control module for injection and 1 spark module.
They are very popular for restoration and resto mod right now and are bringing crazy money.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
A 1987 isn't going to do you any favors on parts versus a 97, 07 or 17.

If you're worried about EMP, an older vehicle will get you the driving of the one tank of gas plus whatever you have in cans. But in theory you're already bugged out, yes?

Contrary to the mythology of the American West, survival is a team sport. Even (or especially) if someone dealt themselves a good hand of survival trump cards, it's still a team sport.

·
Silver Bullet member
52,990 Posts
new engine in 300 miles all wheel drive. 97 on new looking body!\
87 been through top to bottom getting body work done soon..
custom pain job!
bought 12 speed 3 mile level to Gary, down hill to Welch 3 miles..

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A 1987 isn't going to do you any favors on parts versus a 97, 07 or 17.

If you're worried about EMP, an older vehicle will get you the driving of the one tank of gas plus whatever you have in cans. But in theory you're already bugged out, yes?

Contrary to the mythology of the American West, survival is a team sport. Even (or especially) if someone dealt themselves a good hand of survival trump cards, it's still a team sport.
ww, DK, L Smith ----- Thanks everyone for your comments and remarks. Yes in "theory" I guess you could say I'm somewhat "already bugged out". My wife and I have been bugged out since 2014 after I retired for the 3rd time. I also realize that survival is a team effort just so long as there are not toooo many on that team. There are 3 or 4 couples on such a team (folks who we attend church with, both men and women) who think pretty much as my wife and I think. We surely won't venture far looking for a scrap but fully intend to give "WHAT FOR" to any group that attempts evil upon our little team. If any of you folks have read the book by James Rawles entitled "Patriots" then you will get a feel of how I'm thinking. I also believe very strongly we are living in what the Bible refers to as the "end times" or "end of days". And I'm looking for and expecting the return of Christ within my lifetime. I know every generation of Christians have

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
A little end-times fantasy at the fringe is tolerable, but if it becomes mainstream then that society is screwed because people stop living for this world, where there is work to be done.

And the biblical end-times survivalist fantasty is also, let's face it, kinda kooky. If people think they're on the short list to be taken bodily into heaven, then what need is there for all the gear?

Then again I found a blog page last year written by a guy who was raised steeped in that culture, later growing up and learning to think for himself. Taking what he knew, he looked at the question of whether '45 was the AC, and By George the case was pretty strong. Will dig it up if there's interest but it's off topic.

Back to topic:

For outright reliability a newer truck is better than a 34 year old one, just from quality improvements in manufacturing. Plus...34 year old seals everywhere!!

For electronics, specifically "EMP hardness", you have to go back to late 60's cars with mechanical regulators and breaker points. The rectifier diodes in the alternators probably survive the pulse for cars of that vintage. A 1987 truck definitely has enough of the type of logic vulnerable to EMP to be on the "bad" list.

In the case of missile strikes, all bets are off. It will be a free-for-all and notions of private property out the window. Might will prevail.

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ww ---- Thanks for your lengthy comment above. Yes I believe we are living in times we were warned about looong ago. But as you suggest that is straying from the point of this discussion. I never mentioned anything about an EMP but that is a possibility just as a solar flare is a good possibility. Either one would create bad situations world wide. Sorry I have no vehicles that date back to the 1960's, wish I did.
I'm not saying the newer vehicles are not good ones. I am saying I'm able to work on a couple of the older ones I currently own out right and know they will get me to the places I want to go and back home again without trouble. Yes my 34 year old Cheve and my 37 year old Ford Bronco in their current conditions are capable of just that. My much newer vehicles are good ones and I trust them as well but I sure wouldn't attempt to work on the tangle of wires and tubes under their hoods. But if I had to depend on the 30+ year old guys I know they will get me there and back again. Thanks again for your comments.
Have you read the book "Patriots" ??

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Solar flares will knock out the grid but they won't fry transistors.

Living in MT the reality is you're at the end of a very long supply chain. For food, medicine, equipment, spare parts, everything. Plus the short growing season and frankly, too much competition for wild game. (Although expect competition to drop off quickly for reasons above.)

One sees everywhere a "new breed" of survivalist, with a large home, nice shed, ATV etc, out in the country, maybe on a nice big wooded lot. Got the wireless internet, even a backup generator. Absolutely prepared for everything, SO LONG AS THE FEDEX, UPS AND AMAZON MEN KEEP COMING.

Does it matter if your '87 truck is 'easier to work on' if you can't get parts for it? That's the problem I see with that plan. In any case, vehicles like teeth, best kept in good order so that you don't end up like Tom Hanks in "Castaway". :)

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ww ---- I agree I live near the end of a long supply chain. But I believe I'd rather be in a location such as I am than live in a location where many thousands or maybe even millions of other folks are within a few miles distant, all clammoring for the same stuff as I am. FEDEX, UPS & AMAZON might not make deliveries out to my neck of the woods if push comes to shove. But if they are trying to make deliveries to more populated areas and get hyjacked along the way, so the stuff never gets delivered anyway. I'd expect to hear about a lot of that kind of nonsense if and when things start to come apart.
I guess I could fit into what you described above as a new breed of survivalists with a home, 160 acre wood lot, 3 ATV's, a stand by generator, a shed to park all my vehicles in, whitetail deer and wild turkeys and 600 feet of lake shore. However I don't think of myself as a "new breed" because I started putting this stuff together since the early '80's and worked my tail end off for every bit of it. And yes I still have the vehicles I bought back in those long ago days. I consider myself a pretty consertive type guy and don't get rid of my stuff just because I've had it for several years.

·
Administrator
3,285 Posts
If I remember my farady (sp) cage for Intel sites, I wonder if some of the metal buildings all over, properly grounded would protect a lot of the EMP damage. There is an on-line book on what if EMP attack, "Lights Out", well written and easy reading.
So, it is also possible a lot of newer vehicles would be fine, also, underground parking?

·
Registered
5,157 Posts
BC - Well if one occurs, I'll let you know. Built a house in that form with brick veneer walls, due to bushfire or termite attack being the most likely threats to be anticipated.

·
Administrator
17,986 Posts
Properly grounded I think it should work.

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
On this Thanksgiving Day after getting up this morning and listening to the world, national and local news, I told my wife we are living now in the best place on the face of the entire earth, the northwestern mountians of Montana. We have lived in 5 different countries and I've worked in 9 different countries (besides the US of A). Now what the news is telling us from around the world I wouldn't want to be holed up anywhere but where I am Right Now. All my winter's fire wood (6 cords) is stacked up near our large outside furnace, our pantry is pretty much full, the diesel fuel tank is full and the gasoline cans are full and neither of us has covid. We have much to thank our God for on this Thanksgiving Day .

·
Administrator
17,986 Posts
Happy Thanksgiving BC and all of you members who are celebrating.

·
Silver Bullet member
52,990 Posts
ww, DK, L Smith ----- Thanks everyone for your comments and remarks. Yes in "theory" I guess you could say I'm somewhat "already bugged out". My wife and I have been bugged out since 2014 after I retired for the 3rd time. I also realize that survival is a team effort just so long as there are not toooo many on that team. There are 3 or 4 couples on such a team (folks who we attend church with, both men and women) who think pretty much as my wife and I think. We surely won't venture far looking for a scrap but fully intend to give "WHAT FOR" to any group that attempts evil upon our little team. If any of you folks have read the book by James Rawles entitled "Patriots" then you will get a feel of how I'm thinking. I also believe very strongly we are living in what the Bible refers to as the "end times" or "end of days". And I'm looking for and expecting the return of Christ within my lifetime. I know every generation of Christians have
agree, not time to at any stage of life to say, MADE, take a breath

·
Silver Bullet member
52,990 Posts
getting my truck out before Christmas!
new finders' bumper, custom paint job, bed off truck, frame painted, Rino lined!
it's a work truck first mechanically up dated> 98%..
.100% looker second...
same red with metal flake dark charcoal

1 - 20 of 23 Posts