Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
I'll put the disclamer in before I comment.

I'm not sure, but I think this is the model that people are often comlaining about the front end going down range. Due to poor workmanship on the front end.

Often confused with the other model Gibbs did thousands of. The so called Gibbs "Jungle carbine" that has a differen configuration on the front end.
These carbines have a flash hider attached up front and somehow on the internet the two models became confused.

The short carbine done from a 2A also, with a flash hider never had any issues over the years our club members shot them

It will be interesting if you shoot yours to see if you have any isues with it on down the road.
Onlly problems I heard of was the glued part you mention falls off in time.

There was a post here, not so long ago, that had pictures of the other Gibbs models. That particular model was well liked by some folks. The front end is different and more cleaned up wood wise. They are good shooters. Some will post about one they had that was a stinko, but I never experienced any problems with the models with flash hiders. Fun shooters in .308 IMO

Your particular model is not common in our neck of the woods. In fact, rare.

The Gibbs carbines I saw straight from the dealer, had exc. bores.

Seemed common sense to me. To invest all that work and time etc. in a rifle with a poor bore is not cost productive and dumb.
Thousands were made and sold here in the U.S.

Look the gun over real good to see if has mfgr. codes like Gibbs. I am not sure if yours is a Gibbs, since there may have been several companies that did the exact conversion. Maybe Navy Arms, Golden State etc etc. It should have something on it somewhere in print.

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
I have been over it with a magnifying glass, nothing out ordinary for a Ishapore. I have taken to the range and after a leisurely hour and 40 rnds, inside at 50 yds, its very accurate for that range. Muzzle blast was somewhat excessive, but I believe the 20" barrel is the cause of that. I have seen these referred to as mini 2a's but I don't think that is a factory design. Mystery to me.
They are not a factory design. They are conversions for the American market.

I have a link with all the info. on them, but for some reason my program will not transfer it to the posts.

There are at least eight different models that are Enfield conversions for the American market, done in America. Maybe more IIRC.

Not a mystery. Google Enfield fakes by Stratton, it is also listed in there.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.