Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been informally on the look out for a pre-63 Model 1894 for some time and honestly the selection available up here in Canada has been full of worn, abused or modified rifles at inflated prices. I managed to buy this clean 1959 example in 30.30 this past week. She appears to be all original with 98% of the bluing intact (small scuffs on the front barrel band) and only a few very minor marks on the wood.
Upon arrival I gave her a good cleaning and other than a significant amount of copper and carbon in the bore everything is tight and intact.
Given the rising prices and lessening stock of clean unmodified examples, I feel I paid a fair price ($720 US shipping included) for this rifle that I will shoot and enjoy. This rifle will compliment my 1948 version in 32 Special.

·
Gold Bullet member
11,298 Posts
Very nice!

Reactions: Carbine Kid 2

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Looks very nice. Great having a pre 64. Price was good indeed. Seen them going for more than that.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Nice find! I last year I was in a similar situation to the one you were in. All I wanted was a reasonably priced pre '64 model 94 that I wasn't going to have to sell a kidney to buy. It took awhile, but I finally found one that was made in1955 in okay condition. It's not as nice as yours, but the up side is that I only paid $500 and it has just enough wear that I won't feel bad taking it with me out hunting.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Based on my own observation quality of m94 carbine has gone downhill long before 1964. There is a '63 in 30-30 for sale locally. Looks like it's been put together by a bunch of blind monkeys.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Agreed 100%. Pre-WWI quality of ANY firearms is generally the best. As far as m94s go, I think ones with a ramp front sight, but pre-WW2 are the best "working Man's" carbines. Quality was still good and sight doesn't snag as bad and has a hood option, though I can't stand hooded sight on any rifle in general. If I am not mistaken, they went to a ramp front sight around 1932 or so, but I could be wrong. Right now I only have one '94 in 30-30 made in 1951 and while it's an excellent and accurate shooter, quality is just mediocre at best. I still consider a '94 Winchester to be the handiest little rifle for general purpose while in the woods. I often carry mine loaded with pistol bullets.

·
Silver Bullet member
351 Posts
That is a nice example you found, sweet little carbine that looks like it was never used much.

I have a lightly used 1951 carbine in 32 WS and a 1908 production 1894 octagonal also in 32 WS. The full rifle is the sweetest shooting lever gun I've ever owned, but has been run really hard. Replacement barrel, backyard modifications of the sights, finish gone, stock cracked.... but all that is forgivable since it didn't cost much and shoots like a dream :D

·
Premium Member
202 Posts
Yeah good job Kaylee, you scored with a great rifle! Good price and that stock really is amazing with the grain, Kawicrash is right that is something very seldom seen. Congrats and enjoy shooting it that’s what they’re made for!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts