Gunboards Forums banner

1956 Chinese Ghost Gun (SKS Paratrooper), SN 77xxx.

10K views 58 replies 18 participants last post by  Loose}{Cannon 
#1 ·
I have a Chinese 'Ghost Gun' (SKS Paratrooper) - very early year – 1st year of Chinese production (mid-to latter part of 1956). It is referred to as the ‘Ghost Gun’, and the Chinese called it the ‘type 56 and a half carbine’. These guns are described in the guide ‘Dating the Chinese SKS’ at Dating The Chinese SKS. I would think that they may be more collectible than the run-of-the-mill SKS. So, what do you think is a good price if I decide to sell it?
Thanks

#5 ·
Since this rifle was originally made in 1956, it was not made for export, but it could have been shortened when it was exported. I purchased the rifle back in the 1990's when SKS's first started appearing here in the USA (very early). However, it does not look like it was modified. The term 'type 56 and a half' came from the article that I referenced and I do not know the author's sources for the info, nor do I know how knowledgable the author actually is.

Thanks for the input everyone, and maybe someone can provide additional info or more up to date info than appears in the article.

#6 · (Edited)
I have heard the "fifty-six and a half rifle" moniker before. Probably from the same link written by runningman, or possibly in a thread where it came up in the course of discussion. Or both. If runningman said it, he likely has a reliable source.

You are likely correct that the barrel was shortened pre-import-- though a homespun DIY is not entirely out of the realm of possibility. Does the rifle retain all of it's original, serial matching parts (all stamped in the same font)?

The info you have on your "Ghost Rifle" (aka Non-arsenal stamped) carbine, is the most up to date info currently known.

Post some photos when you can!

#7 ·
Cut down to paratrooper length is popular regardless that paratrooper , as has been said already, was never a chinese issue miitary length gun. Yes, many original military SKS were later cut down, restocked ( often unnumbered) and sold to a welcoming american buyer. The paratrooper being shorter is eaiser to maniupulate especially from a pick up or in dense forests while hunting...
I don't think the so called ghost gun later conversion to a paratrooper is more valuable because of the original issue. It is more valuable as any sks cut down to paratrooper length is popular and often sells for more. Collectors on the other hand, often will pay less for a cut down sks to paratrooper.

#9 ·
yeeeeeeeah, I too also have a "cowboy companion", cut down SKS, in the 7million SN range, that has a screwed in barrel, milled trigger housing and a Cyrillic marked rear sight. and whatever collectible status it may have had, is gone, gone, gone and gone, just like yours

I would agree with martin on the value..........6-800 bucks

#18 · (Edited)
IIRC, the discussions I've seen about the "56½" moniker it was suggested it may have to do with the Type56 (sks) production starting in the middle of 1956.

I think the suggestion was also made that "56½" may have possibly been used in China to differentiate between the Type56 SKS and the Type56 AK-- because they both bear the exact same 3-character designation -- 五六式 .

Such a differentiation is meaningless here in the US because the 五六式 AK isn't something that American collectors have access to.

#20 · (Edited)
The correct translation of 五六半 is "56 Semi". That's what it is. Only a machine translation tells you "56 and a half".
It's NOT a translation if the only group of people calling it the "56½" Rifle are speaking Chinese.

Perhaps refer to and read the "source link" in the OP. Maybe that's the only way for you to understand that "56½" is NOT a translation.

The exact citation from runningman's writeup:
The Chinese themselves often refer to their domestic built SKS carbine as the “Type 56 and a half” carbine.

#22 ·
Boris, for this "56 and a half" sillyness, stop quoting. Whatever it tells you, it is wrong.

In China, they don't call the SKS "56 and a half", as if it is "half a carbine. The word 半 means semi as in semi-automatic. No more no less.
Sporter, no offense...

But...

If the choice between sks sources is between you and runningman-- I will take runningman one hundred percent of the time.

And it's safe to say that 100% of the sks collecting community who are even vaguely aware of his 20+ year research, would make the same choice.

#25 ·
When i was in 4th grade, there were 4 boys with the same name. Instead of dealing with a year of confusion, Mrs. Martin gave all four boys nicknames.

Nicknames are not literal translations. In the case of Mrs. Martins 4th grade class, nickname were merely a means of differentiation.

Think of 56½ as a nickname used only by the Chinese, in China and spoken in.....

Chinese.

As such, its NOT a translation.

#32 ·
However, if sks production in China did begin in the summer of 1956, "56½" has a ring of logic of its own.

In Chinese script, is the number 24.5 also written as "24-semi" or is there another way to convey "twenty-four-and-a-half"?

(not being sarcastic. I'm just truly curious)

#38 ·
It's like in English, words can have multiple meanings. 半 is indeed "half" and that is a machine translator will tell you. What the machine unable to tell you is that word can also mean "semi". A machine doesn't know which meaning is the most appropriate one to use. It'll pick the most common meaning. There you have the "56 and a half". (Google Translator) I think it's as hilarious as the "walking spear".

#33 ·
I appreciate everyone's input. I would like to reiterate that I bought this rifle from a dealer when the Chinese rifles first began to be imported ... before the commercial, 'new' ones arrived here in the USA ... very early. The serial number is 77xxx (in the 77 thousands, not in the 7 millions, not in the 770 thousands). At the same time I also bought a standard length version and a MAC 90. Unlike the commercial rifles purposely built for the US market that started to appear here later, all 3 of mine are obviously surplused (used) military rifles. Not that that really matters.

Several people have stated that the 'paratrooper' version did not exist in the Chinese military. Do we know this as fact from the Chinese or is it speculation?

I did not get bayonets with the 3 rifles that I bought. I bought a spike bayonet years later, but I would like to have one of the CORRECT blade bayonets for each rifle, but the cost may be prohibitive.

Again, I really do appreciate everyone's input ...

#34 · (Edited)
So many people are fighting over who knows more about SKS and AKs that it is to the point of antagonisim that it is hardly worth explaining anymore. I don't need to prove anything and even if I did someone would still disagree.
so here are sources.
According to the book "ak-47, the grim reaper" by Iannamico the mak 90 was created to circumvent a ban of 1989 of chinese imports and exporters of ak 47s made several variations with thumbhole stocks. eg mak 90, 91, etc. Pgs. 702 etc.
It was not a chinese military gun.
According to TT Yu a famous importer working with chinese exporters and importers, and an importer and manufacturer of several chinese copies of other guns, China did not make a paratrooper for its military. it was made from scratch and from converted and cut down prior issue military surplus guns for the american market.

#36 ·
'Fifty-six and a half rifle' is obviously from someone who does not read or understand Chinese language. The term 'fifty-six and a half rifle' has the following errors:
In China, the Type 56 SKS has been commonly called '五六式半自动' or '五六半’, which is an abbreviation of its official designation '一九五六年式7.62毫米半自动步枪'. (Type 1956 year 7.62 mm semi automatic rifle)
The corresponding English term (not translation) would be 'Five Six Semi'. 五 is Five, 六 Six, Semi (automatic) 半(自动).

It is 'Five Six' not 'Fifty six' when Chinese call this type of rifle.

The tricky part is '半‘. The character itself can mean 'half'. However, when used with '自动’(automatic) together for small arms, the three characters mean 'semi automatic', as in Chinese 'semi automatic' is called (literally) 'half automatic'.

Thus, the word 'and' in the term 'fifty-six and a half rifle' is wrong. The English term more close to how Chinese call this type of rifle would be 'Five Six Semi'.

#41 ·
The worst of all this is calling that cut down sks a paratrooper which is ridiculous. It ism a shortened carbine which means in the name carbine to be short already. Paratroopers would be able to jump the sks carbine in its original form. I know because I have been trained to jump with various weapons. It would be nice if we were more realistic and called it what it is.As to its Military originality I am sure no one here has any Chinese source to say it was.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.