Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I couldn't stand to wait until Friday, so I journeyed back down the river this morning and picked it up.
He had Chi-Com cleaning rods in a pile on a far shelf for $7 each, so I grabbed one of those and it dropped right in place.
All numbers match so far on the small metal parts, trigger housing, magazine, bolt, carrier, & top cover. The stock is hardwood and lined out and renumbered with the [/] on the stock as well as the cover.
The down side is that I've spent all of my play money for Knob Creek.....I've got two weeks to get that situation lined out. I'm still going, just not going to be able to buy much unless the vendors take plastic.

I've tried to include a few pics, hopefully it worked...
I found a Russian sling in the sling box, and with the cleaning rod from the store, I'm good to go. :)

·
Diamond Bullet Member/Moderator
50,552 Posts
I couldn't stand to wait until Friday, so I journeyed back down the river this morning and picked it up.
He had Chi-Com cleaning rods in a pile on a far shelf for $7 each, so I grabbed one of those and it dropped right in place.
All numbers match so far on the small metal parts, trigger housing, magazine, bolt, carrier, & top cover. The stock is hardwood and lined out and renumbered with the [/] on the stock as well as the cover.
The down side is that I've spent all of my play money for Knob Creek.....I've got two weeks to get that situation lined out. I'm still going, just not going to be able to buy much unless the vendors take plastic.

I've tried to include a few pics, hopefully it worked...
I found a Russian sling in the sling box, and with the cleaning rod from the store, I'm good to go. :)
Looks good Chuck..

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Mike,
After rotating the tires on the Jeep, I did a complete tear down & scrubbing to get the dust & carbon fouling off of things.
Every little part is serial numbered to the receiver in EP or stamped. The piston, extractor and the above mentioned pieces in the first post.
If only the stock was the original instead of being lined out & renumbered to match.
I took the cleaning kit out of the butt stock and it is brand new, unused condition with all kinds of neat stampings all over the muzzle cover/cap piece too.
In the middle picture, there's a set of numbers right past the importer's markings, would that be the serial number to put in the log book?

·
Super Moderator Platinum Member Zombie Killer
4,049 Posts
Nice pick-up, Chuck......the numbers after the importer is the importer's log-in serial number as cyrillic isn't acceptable with the BATF. I usually log in both numbers for in my book for easy identification and to keep everybody happy....

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's what I did with the serial numbers, wrote both of them in the book.
I think this one is gonna be a shooter! :)
What kind of tactical stock can I put on it that'll take lazer optics? :lol

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Dave,
Any SKS that hasn't met the hacksaw, lost the bayonet & cleaning rod, been covered in spraypaint, drop in stock replacement, or has the receiver drilled and tapped around here is a rare bird.
This shop has a nice Chinese SKS with all of the parts & pieces intact as well, the price on it is $275 though. It has a plastic handguard on the tube instead of the wood.
Arsenal 26.
He had another Russian in there last spring, but parts were missing and the stock was spray-painted camo, so it didn't hold much appeal to me.
Like I posted in the original thread, it seems like I remembered someone posting somewhere in the recent past (on the older forum board) that the Izhevsk SKS's were less common.
I was thrilled to find this one in the condition that it is in.
It cleaned up pretty good too. Just a little crud in the bore that brushed right out after letting the foaming cleaner do it's work.
If time & weather permits tomorrow afternoon, I'm going to run 20 or so rounds through it at 50 yards to check for function and potential accuracy.
But, I've got to get my youngest to the lake for a fishing trip in the morning.
He's put up with me all week so far with this SKS saga, me getting ill, and helping with painting the house and general chores, so it's his turn to enjoy the day tomorrow.
Guns, shooting and fishing!!! It's turning out to be a nice week off from work! :)

·
Registered
393 Posts
i found a all matched non refurb izzy a couple months ago,3 digit serial,came with russian sling,no line outs on the artic birch stock,seen it and got chubbed up instantly,got a decent deal for it ,not fantastic but a decent deal,i got him down $50 and i was happy and i filled a hole

your right ,$275 is high for the chicom,especially with the mismatch hand guard,hey atleast you got your Izzy,thats awsome right there

1 - 10 of 10 Posts