Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
An aquaintance has one, mint condition,(Exterior metal and wood are pristine) with the exception of the bore, which must have been put away after firing corrosive. It cleaned up great, but has very fine pitting.
I see it rates high on rarity scale, is this due to low production numbers? What would be a fair offer? TIA

·
Registered
226 Posts
Can't help much with price, except to say that you don't see them often, especially in the condition you describe.

When I bought my example, I considered it the least interesting example of an M-44's I had, and just a place holder. It turned out to be the best of the shooters.

Just my opinion, but I wouldn't think that $80 to $120 would'nt be bad considering you can look at it and don't have to pay shipping. My SWAG.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
If it is all Romanian parts, all matching numbers, near 100% finish, up to about $200. Otherwise, the range MTS2 suggested.

·
Gold Bullet member
1,533 Posts
I agree on the up to $200 price. The mint 1954 that I bought last year was just under that price. The only Rom. M44's that I see sell for much less than that are M/M and in poor condition.

I would think an offer of about $175 would be on the low end of fair.

T

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the quick replies! I think he'll go for $100, it's about what I figured it was worth to me, when he let me take it for a range session, and clean it. It is definitely among the most accurate ones I've encountered. Also has the tightest bayo lock-up ever! It literally looks unissued.....too bad about the bore. I think it will improve with more rounds, and that is my intention! Thanks again!!

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
In 1953 only 2000 carbine with the AX sn prefix were made + other 1000 with the CP prefix (used in 1954 also).

Congrats!

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well It's mine!! He was very happy to get $100. I had recently helped him install a 200A service panel, as well as build a 14'x10' shed so we both made out. I have 13 m44's, and the '53 Romy has much company! I also have a nice all matching '54 Romy and a '55 mixmaster. The '53 is by far the nicest one I've got, maybe a tie with the unissued Polish (1952) I've yet to shoot. Something about the M44, that really stokes me; I've got a good selection of M38's and 91/59's, but the M44 is by far my favorite "lil commie howitzer" I think it must be the added bayo weight on the end.....they are just a gas to shoot, and I am far more accurate, and comfortable shooting the '44.
Here are a few pics...pardon my ineptitude with a camera...and once again thanks for the input!! This site is really a joy!! John

·
Gold Bullet member
1,533 Posts
You did very well! That is a fantastic price.

T

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Lots of guys go nuts over the "as new" Polish M44s out there. And those do look great. But, I say the near new Romanians that pop up once in a while are the M44 beauty queens!

·
Registered
621 Posts
WOW !! Real Nice !! I have 2 1953 Romanians an AX and a CP with non matching bolts and not as nice condition as yours !! Good Deal !! Your friend wouldnt have a 1951 Polish M44 would they?? LOL...

manygunsmike

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the replies. I wish he had one of those!!! I just shot it again today. The bore has made a remarkable comeback. The shoot/swab technique really works!! It almost looks like the rest of the rifle now, am still amazed at the condition of this one. I also have a real nice all matching 54 with an HU prefix, slightly lesser condition.

·
Gold Bullet member
1,533 Posts
What is the serial range of your 1954 HU? Mine is HU 17XX. Maybe they are close. Mine is pretty close to mint/unissued, though I hate to use that 'U-word'.

T

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey Alamo my 1954 s/n is HU40X. Always wondered why a lot of people black out the complete number............??

·
Gold Bullet Member
9,970 Posts
"Always wondered why a lot of people black out the complete number............??"

Many folks don't want folks to claim that the rifle did not belong to them - or the want the Gov't to know their serial number on the rifle, etc. Some just don't want anybody to know, kinda a privacy thing...

Pahtu.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts