Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Platinum Bullet member
4,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just picked this up this afternoon. It's been lightly arsenal refurbished and in a walnut stock. I've been told this stock is unusual for these.

First year production and German proofed.

4/17/2021 - Added photos.

20210416_171017.jpg
20210416_170937.jpg
20210416_170842.jpg
20210416_170817.jpg
20210416_170801.jpg
20210416_170739.jpg
02_nosecap.jpg
02_cleaning-rod.jpg
front-band.jpg
rear-band.jpg

·
Platinum Bullet member
4,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks for the kudos, I was very happy to acquire it. All parts are 02 marked - Bolt body, head, cocking knob, rear sight base, spring and slider, and both barrel bands.

4/17/2021 - Checked it this morning, nosecap and cleaning rod are also 02 marked, added more photos.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Beautiful 91/30. Fit and finish is excellent, and goes so well with the stock. Don't see these often. Enjoyed the post. If the bore is as fine as the rest of her, that's close to perfect. Thanks for sharing.

·
Platinum Bullet member
4,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Beautiful 91/30. Fit and finish is excellent, and goes so well with the stock. Don't see these often. Enjoyed the post. If the bore is as fine as the rest of her, that's close to perfect. Thanks for sharing.
Bore is bright and shiny, no pitting or frost, and no counterbore. Lands show only a slight rounding from normal use. Better than many other Mosin-Nagants I've seen and owned.

·
Platinum Bullet member
4,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've never owned a rifle with these German proofs, can anyone explain why it hasn't been import marked by a U.S. importer?

·
Gold Bullet member
11,297 Posts
I've never owned a rifle with these German proofs, can anyone explain why it hasn't been import marked by a U.S. importer?
Most likely it was a rifle purchased by a US soldier stationed in West Germany which he then personally "imported" back to the States upon his return.

Reactions: gunhorde

·
Platinum Bullet member
4,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Most likely it was a rifle purchased by a US soldier stationed in West Germany which he then personally "imported" back to the States upon his return.
Amazing! That sequence of event never occurred to me, although it makes perfect sense. Thank you, Richard.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Amazing! That sequence of event never occurred to me, although it makes perfect sense. Thank you, Richard.
As I recall from a long ago post on these rifles, all of these German marked Hungarian M91/30's were bought by a German import company in the early 90's. They were never imported into the U.S. but sold in Europe and Canada instead. Those now in the U.S. either "wandered" across the U.S.-Canadian border or were one of those bought by the USAF's Rod and Gun club's in Germany and then purchased and brought back individually by U.S. serviceman. I actually remember seeing some of these at the Rod and Gun club at Rhein-Main Air Force base in the early 90's. At the time I was a poor Army Private with no real interest in old milsurps so I didn't give them much of a glance. My chain of command was unlikely to have authorized me to purchase a firearm at the time anyways as I found out later on when I attempted to purchase 2 ex-German Polizei Walther PP's.

·
Diamond w/Oak Clusters and Swords Bullet Member
None of your business.
16,807 Posts
Doing fine John. I see you are too. (y) Been helping mom.

So, how does it shoot? Set the handguard on fire yet? ;)

·
Platinum Bullet member
4,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Doing fine John. I see you are too. (y) Been helping mom.

So, how does it shoot? Set the handguard on fire yet? ;)
Haven't had the chance to try it out, windy weekend up here and recovering from being extremely sick for 3 days last week. That wiped me out so have been resting up. Glad to hear you're doing OK and taking care of mom. :)

·
Registered
34 Posts
I just picked this up this afternoon. It's been lightly arsenal refurbished and in a walnut stock. I've been told this stock is unusual for these.

First year production and German proofed.

4/17/2021 - Added photos.

View attachment 3821430 View attachment 3821431 View attachment 3821432 View attachment 3821433 View attachment 3821434 View attachment 3821435 View attachment 3821560 View attachment 3821561 View attachment 3821562 View attachment 3821563
Beautiful rifle. Where did you find it?

·
Platinum Bullet member
4,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Beautiful rifle. Where did you find it?
I was surprised to see it on Gunbroker and decided to pursue it. I'm surprised it didn't go for more, I was prepared to bid higher if necessary. The other bidder never had a chance... LOL!

·
Registered
34 Posts
I was surprised to see it on Gunbroker and decided to pursue it. I'm surprised it didn't go for more, I was prepared to bid higher if necessary. The other bidder never had a chance... LOL!

Def not at that price! Wow is $800 fair for that rifle?

·
Platinum Bullet member
4,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
My local shop owner/collector thinks finding one of these for under $1k is a bargain. The PU sniper variants appear to be more common here in the US, he has one of those in his 1500+ weapons collection, but not one of these standard infantry models. This is the first one I've ever seen in the 25 years I've been collecting. Now I need a matching Hungarian M-44 to go with it.

There's a Hungarian 48.M (91/30) listed for sale in "essentially unissued" condition at Empire Arms: - Military Rifles for sale

·
Gold Bullet member
11,297 Posts
It’s simple. Collectors like pieces that are hard to find. That other collectors don’t have. The more uncommon the item may be the more desirable it becomes.

The Hungarian 91/30 Mosin (i.e., the Model 48) is very scarce in the US. It’s not just a common, run-of-the-mill, Mosin. Hence the (reasonable, in my opinion) price paid.

It makes perfect sense to a collector but the rest of the world think us mad! ;)

PS: Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
34 Posts
It’s simple. Collectors like pieces that are hard to find. That other collectors don’t have. The more uncommon the item may be the more desirable it becomes.

The Hungarian 91/30 Mosin (i.e., the Model 48) is very scarce in the US. It’s not just a common, run-of-the-mill, Mosin. Hence the (reasonable, in my opinion) price paid.

It makes perfect sense to a collector but the rest of the world think us mad! ;)

Thanks for explaining. I’m new to this collegcting thing and really just starting out.

·
Diamond w/Oak Clusters and Swords Bullet Member
None of your business.
16,807 Posts

Very well stated. As usual.

·
Platinum Bullet member
4,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Has anyone got an example of a Hungarian bayonet for these rifles? I've never seen photos of one but would assume they are also "02" marked? Photos or a link would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts