Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked this rifle up last week on an impulse. I paid too much for it, but immediately felt a connection and I really miss my last Ishapore. The original bluing and the even, but not extreme, wear makes for a very pretty rifle. Bore is excellent, though the bolt is a m/m. Regardless, I am happy to have her in the collection. Anybody here that could decipher the stock markings for me? Also of interest is the magazine with an X'd out DP mark.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
4,612 Posts
"Technical Development Establishment (Weapons)". I have a link on my computer to their website, I'll try to remember to post it next time I get a chance. One of the members here did some fine detective work to solve a long standing mystery with this one. I wish I could remember who it was to give proper credit. They're some sort of military tech R&D outfit.

Looks like you have a nice pickup there.

·
Registered
30 Posts
How much is too much for a comparable GRI? My LGS had one similar with a bolt mismatch for 349. I collect for interest, not value but at the same time I don't want to overpay. Being new to Enfields I wasn't too sure about the Ishapore rifles.

·
Registered
7,898 Posts
Not too long ago RFI rifles, rebuilds and original make, were selling for 1/2 to 2/3's of their British and Australian counterparts.
Now they seem to be selling for just slightly less if not equal. So, it all depends on your local market.

As far as the TDE (W) marking being g deciphered, Krinko was the first I can remember passing it along to us.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
4,612 Posts
Krinko got the wrong answer from a former Indian army officer who stated that the 'D' was a head inspector's initial, IIRC.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.