Gunboards Forums banner

1950 188 7.62x54r ammo

2K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  pennypal 
#1 ·
Managed to come across quite a bit of 1950 dated 7.62x54r light lead core on clips I'm interested to see how this rifle dedicated ammo compares to the machine gun surplus of the 70s and 80s most everyone is used to shooting.

See less See more
#11 ·
I have some 1946 ('47?) dated ammo from 188 that was packed the same way and looks just as nice. Like others have said, it shoots like typical Russian light ball from factory 188. These bullets will have a flat base design, not boat tail like the later steel core stuff, though.

Type L bullet denoted by the cyrillic L (Л) that's hard to read as the first character after 7.62 on the can.

#12 ·
I have some 1946 ('47?) dated ammo from 188 that was packed the same way and looks just as nice. Like others have said, it shoots like typical Russian light ball from factory 188. These bullets will have a flat base design, not boat tail like the later steel core stuff, though.

Type L bullet denoted by the cyrillic L (Л) that's hard to read as the first character after 7.62 on the can.
View attachment 3722123
I acquired a load of the flat-based lead core L bullets that someone had pulled and I reloaded them in PPU cases with Viht N140 and they proved to be a very accurate bullet to be fair.

#14 ·
The “L” lead core bullet is actually a conical base. This may have a benefit in worn or oversized bores as gas pressure can expand the bullet to make a fit/seal. I had a bunch of pulled Chinese L bullets that I loaded In my loosest Mosins hoping to get plinking accuracy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.