Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Managed to come across quite a bit of 1950 dated 7.62x54r light lead core on clips I'm interested to see how this rifle dedicated ammo compares to the machine gun surplus of the 70s and 80s most everyone is used to shooting.

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
For me it shoots about the same. Lots of this came in around ten years ago from who knows where. Never had a dud or hangfire w. this ammo.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
For me it shoots about the same. Lots of this came in around ten years ago from who knows where. Never had a dud or hangfire w. this ammo.
I feel like these rounds might be loaded kind of hotter because I used some 1945 dated ammo and it was louder than usual

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
I feel like these rounds might be loaded kind of hotter because I used some 1945 dated ammo and it was louder than usual
I have shot 1950's Russian, and Bulgarian, rifle ammuntion and found it to be different to the later MG ammo.If anything the later stuff would likely be loaded "hotter" in order to keep the PKM action cycling as that's mainly what the later stuff was intended for.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
I have shot 1950's Russian, and Bulgarian, rifle ammuntion and found it to be different to the later MG ammo.If anything the later stuff would likely be loaded "hotter" in order to keep the PKM action cycling as that's mainly what the later stuff was intended for.
Specs for Military ammo are set and don’t vary like some bubba reloader souping up ammo for a new gun. PKMs are made to cycle with standard rifle ammo and are adjustable for any ammo or other issues.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Loaded “hotter” because of noise isn’t very scientific or logical. That powder maybe slower burning or degraded because it is 70 year old wartime mfg production. If so, there may well be LESS pressure and velocity but yes, more noise. Unless you have pressure measuring instruments assuming is risky.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Specs for Military ammo are set and don’t vary like some bubba reloader souping up ammo for a new gun. PKMs are made to cycle with standard rifle ammo and are adjustable for any ammo or other issues.
I know that......perhaps I should have said that later ammunition "may" be higher velocity than earlier production ammo as powder lots and specs may well change over time.

"Hotter" was a poor choice of words on my part :thumbsup:

·
Silver Bullet Member
5,522 Posts
I have some 1946 ('47?) dated ammo from 188 that was packed the same way and looks just as nice. Like others have said, it shoots like typical Russian light ball from factory 188. These bullets will have a flat base design, not boat tail like the later steel core stuff, though.

Type L bullet denoted by the cyrillic L (Л) that's hard to read as the first character after 7.62 on the can.
IMG_4245.JPG

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
I have some 1946 ('47?) dated ammo from 188 that was packed the same way and looks just as nice. Like others have said, it shoots like typical Russian light ball from factory 188. These bullets will have a flat base design, not boat tail like the later steel core stuff, though.

Type L bullet denoted by the cyrillic L (Л) that's hard to read as the first character after 7.62 on the can.
View attachment 3722123
I acquired a load of the flat-based lead core L bullets that someone had pulled and I reloaded them in PPU cases with Viht N140 and they proved to be a very accurate bullet to be fair.

·
Silver Bullet Member
5,522 Posts
Yes, I've read that the flat base bullets can be more accurate than boat tail bullets at shorter range distances. Not sure if I can shoot well enough to tell the difference myself, though!

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Yes, I've read that the flat base bullets can be more accurate than boat tail bullets at shorter range distances. Not sure if I can shoot well enough to tell the difference myself, though!
The “L” lead core bullet is actually a conical base. This may have a benefit in worn or oversized bores as gas pressure can expand the bullet to make a fit/seal. I had a bunch of pulled Chinese L bullets that I loaded In my loosest Mosins hoping to get plinking accuracy.

·
Registered
518 Posts
+1 on ammolabs observation on the conical base bullets. Also the clips were of better quality than some of the others around.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts