Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Guy's,
I went to the LGS about two weeks ago to put a High wall Uberti in Layaway. I followed a gentleman in carrying a gun case. He walked up to the counter and stated he wanted to trade this gun in for the highwall on the wall.

I thought, just my luck, he then pulled a old Winchester 61 out of his case that he brought in, I much prefer the old 22 over the Highwall anyway. This is the only LGS that I really do any business with. It is only 4 miles from my house. Anyway the LGS salesman (good friend) called me over to the side and asked if I was interested. He needed to know so he could give him a price. They know I collect 22's. I told him I was and what I would give for it. They made their deal and the Model 61 came home with me.

Took her out and attempted to fire 10 rounds. Only two fired out of the 10. Took her in and appart, saw that the bolt was not going all the way into the locking slot in the receiver. The more I looked at her the more I believed the bolt and forearm link was worn where they push the bolt up into the locking recess.

I paid a pretty penny for the rifle but I decided that I wanted it right, so I spent a little more money on her. (It would only fire if I held the forearm forward while shooting. I could feel the forearm jerk back a little when fired) I ordered a used bolt and forearm Bar/link that were in really good shape along with a new firing pin.

Got them in the mail today (Mail is very slow anymore) and installed them. Now the Bolt locks up really well, just like a vault. Took her out and shot 50 rounds without a hiccup. Very happy with her.

I also cut the LOP down to 12.5" since someone had already cut it down and replaced the original butt plate with a plastic Winchester butt plate instead of the steel. Rifle fits me to a T now with my shorter frame. She cost me but she was well worth the money. Is she perfect, nope but she is a very sexy old girl and I needed a good pump action to go with all my lever 22's. Now to get a warmer day and adjust the sights just a tad to the right and she will be right on/

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
congrats on an excellent pump action rimfire rifle. you may learn to like the pump action, better than the levers; they are certainly faster and easier to operate.

·
Registered
842 Posts
61 's have always elluded my collection mainly due to price . I like them ,maybe one day the stars will align .

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes the price kind of sets you back on them. But for me I have been looking for another pump action 22 for a long while. Henry I did not carefor. I had a 1932 Remington model 12C that was awesome but I hated having to shoot only SV ammo in it so I traded it off and have been looking ever since. This is a dream come true and all though the price was high, and they are not available or seen very often. I did not want to see it go, so I did not hesitate. What I did not know and the gentleman just flat out lied about is that it would not shoot if the forearm was not pushed forward and held there while shooting. It would lock up but the bolt would not completely go into the locking lug on the receiver causing light strikes. You could actually feel the forearm kick against my hand. So it cost me another $250 for a new bolt and forearm lever (ones in the rifle were just worn to much). But that has been forgotten about now that she is working and working properly now. She should last another 80 years or longer. Because I will keep her greased with slip 2000 on the wear spots.

IRON WORKER, hoping you find one soon, life is to short to delay.

Frosty
Your name fits the Canadian flag well. Thanks it is faster than the levers, but at my age anymore I like to make my rounds count. I have 33 steel plates at 25 yards that I shoot. They range from 1" to 12" and all in between sizes. So I like to make them count especially on the 1" plates.

·
Silver Bullet Member
3,222 Posts
I have one, also a 1948. The first 22 rifle I was introduced to, a long, long time ago, was a Model 61. Just never go around to getting another one, as I have no clue whatever happened to that one. I have craved one for years. One popped up for sale on the interweb from Texas, had a goober in the butt stock. It was realIy priced right though. I have a bit of experience with replacing chunks of walnut so I bought it. Turned out beautiful. If you don't mind, maybe I will get a couple of photos to add to your string. They are simply fantastic little rifles.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Great rifles - my first .22 repeater. I think the example here is 1953. Nice work on bringing it back in spec. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dallased,
Please do post you work and that rifle. I would Love to see it. That would be a great addition to this post.

ebeeby
According to the serial number on this rifle it is a 1947/1948 depending where you look. The buttof the rifle has been replaced with a plastic butt stock end. I believe that was done by a previous owner who shortened the LOP for the rifle. Which was ok with me because I like a 12.5" LOP and they did not do a very good job. So I cut the LOP down further to 12.5" and worked out well. Why do you say that this looks to be a 1953 example. Qurious ?

·
Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon
94,947 Posts
Dallased,
Please do post you work and that rifle. I would Love to see it. That would be a great addition to this post.

ebeeby
According to the serial number on this rifle it is a 1947/1948 depending where you look. The buttof the rifle has been replaced with a plastic butt stock end. I believe that was done by a previous owner who shortened the LOP for the rifle. Which was ok with me because I like a 12.5" LOP and they did not do a very good job. So I cut the LOP down further to 12.5" and worked out well. Why do you say that this looks to be a 1953 example. Qurious ?
Great find jstanfield, would like one to go with my other .22s, though a 62 would be even more to my taste (friend had one when i was a kid and I always liked it. Though not as much as my M-77, with which I shot better than Bill did with the trombone action).

Dallased - presume you spent some time in SEA from your avatar. Mind saying where and when? Who knows, we might have over-lapped (I was in country August '68-August '69, at Long Binh).

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Clyde,
You sound like me. I have all caliber of mainly lever action rifles and mostly Marlins. But 22's are my favorite caliber to shoot and I have more 22's than anything. Just love a good 22.

·
Silver Bullet Member
3,222 Posts
Dallased,

ebeeby
Here is mine. Just a couple of quick pictures. It was a grand reunion with that model when it arrived. Just something special about them. I have a 1947 Marlin Mode 39A also but I think I like the 61 just a tad better. Probably nostalgia. I circled the area where the chunk as missing. Right up where the receiver joins. It turned out real well.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Dallased,
That is very well done, you can't tell it was even done. That is a beautiful rifle. I to have several Marlins, I just love the lever guns.Two of them being 39A Mounties, one from 1955 and the other from 1966. I too really like shooting the Model 61 the short amount that I have shot it so far.

·
Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon
94,947 Posts
Clyde,
You sound like me. I have all caliber of mainly lever action rifles and mostly Marlins. But 22's are my favorite caliber to shoot and I have more 22's than anything. Just love a good 22.
Me too, though might wonder if you saw the inventory (not near as many as there ought to be).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts